Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An old question: Tuner or No Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:47 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow An old question: Tuner or No Tuner

America Iron Magazine - May 2010 Page 112 Column 2 Paragraph 1:

"Since this is a 2007 fuel-injected Sportster that's equipped with oxygen sensors in the pipes, we're going to install the Vance & Hines Short Shot Staggereds with slash-cut ends for 2004-2009 Sportster (#17219/$379.99) [In column 1, it says that this mod also includes a Screamin' Eagle Sportster Stage 1 air cleaner]. However we're not going to get the standard H-D ECM calibration that most dealers will want to install. We've found that most O2-equipped bikes do not need it since the stock ECM recalibrates itself to the new engine configuration in a few minutes via the O2 sensors."

My guess is that letting the ECM adjust to the new air filter and pipes will only bring the AFR to EPA standards (14.7:1) and that you won’t get the maximum benefit from the changes. But From what I can tell, spending $320 for a fuel management system is not necessary.

Now tell me why I’m wrong and what I didn’t see in the AIM article.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No the bike will run like **** but it will run. It will run very lean and very very hot. You might burn an exhaust valve along the way.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

You may be right and thats why I brought it up in this forum but why would AIM make such a statement and build a bike that would "run like ****" and burn exhaust valves?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the dealer remap the stock ECM will only change your timing curve with little or no effect on your AFR. It's illegal for the dealer to make modifications on your bike that conflict with EPA regs unless your bike is "for racing purposes only".
You're stock ECM will make changes to keep your AFR at the factory 14.7:1 while in closed loop, about 95% of your riding time. The only time you could be too lean would be at or near WOT.
That said the bike will not run at it's best potential without some type of modification to the Fuel MAP.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant speak for a Sportster, the Engine, size and the throttle body systems are different than that of a Dyna Model 96.

The A/F ratio needed for optimum performance is different for the sportster than a Dyna, assuming they both have the same equipment ie.. pipes and AC installed.

So with out further reading into your article, i'll say that you and they (article writers.) are both right.

For a sportster that is .

Now carry that into A dyna category im sure your thread will burst into why's and why nots.

IMHO.... you dont need a tuner.

I own the Power Commander V. and its a great MOD to install on your Bike, Just not entirely necessary.

but what it does do for you and your bike is open the avenue of Air to fuel ratio and allows your Bike to easily interchange Pipes and AIr cleaners that you other wise couldnt with out the PC.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

I agree 100% that a tuner is better than no tuner but I've never seen any reputable source (i.e. American Iron Magazine) come out and say that "most O2-equipped bikes do not need" a tuner.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 PM
transam7969
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is my bike with pipes/ac and dealer download compared to my bike with the same pipes/ac and a pc-v is night and day difference.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need is subjective, and yes the topic comes up here often (seems like every day).

Just putting pipes on will have little effect on the factory tune. A free flow air filter will hurt WOT performance, throttle response, and make the bike susceptible to decel pop. If you cruise relaxed and easy, its not going to hurt anything but you may not like the ride.

Just don't waste your cash on a free flow air filter, and ride with plenty of smiles. A free flow air filter will not help performance unless you also invest in a tune or tuner. The factory download gives you little return for your $$$. Helps the stealer bottom line a bunch, however.

The bikes come from the factory detuned from optimum performance and drivability, but tuned for optimum emissions. Any tuner will liven up the bike regardless, with different side effects. If you are serious, my advice is to check out the TTS tuning kit.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
True Mainah
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the supertrapp 2-1, with 15 discs and the open end cap. no air cleaner upgrade or fuel upgrade. got 800 miles so far with no popping or surging, runs great. but in the back of my head gotta wonder how much better it could be by doin the air and fuel upgrades.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna
I agree 100% that a tuner is better than no tuner but I've never seen any reputable source (i.e. American Iron Magazine) come out and say that "most O2-equipped bikes do not need" a tuner.
Cycle World did.

See here -----> http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_faq.htm

I have a SERT on my Dyna and I aint ever doing that again. There are only 2 people in the world that actually know how to tune a SERT... CORRECTLY. (Hint: Doc Weaver)

Nope... this time I'm going with Rush Mufflers, A/c and XiEDs. I'm gonnakeep it simple.

More reading here... www.nightrider.com

Quick Reply: An old question: Tuner or No Tuner