Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An old question: Tuner or No Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGDyna
I agree 100% that a tuner is better than no tuner but I've never seen any reputable source (i.e. American Iron Magazine) come out and say that "most O2-equipped bikes do not need" a tuner.
Get a copy of the Fall 2006 Enthusiast Magazine published by Harley-Davidson. H-D states in an article in this magazine that the Dephi equipped closed loop ECM bikes to not need remapping with exhaust and air cleaner upgrades.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
07ntrain
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I am really wondering about this too, i have bassani prostreet pipes on my bikeand the stock a/c, some say i need a tuner with just the pipes and some say that i dont need a tuner until i get a new a/c, it would be nice to know for sure.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Originally Posted by plumbertom
Get a copy of the Fall 2006 Enthusiast Magazine published by Harley-Davidson. H-D states in an article in this magazine that the Dephi equipped closed loop ECM bikes to not need remapping with exhaust and air cleaner upgrades.
My '06 Dyna with V&H slipons did not need a tuner. It ran, and I think it obviously ran fine for the first owner, as he put 18k miles on it like that. I will agree that a tuner was not -needed-.

However since I put the TMax (and new air filter) in, the bike runs much, much better. It idles smoother, it sounds better, and it pops much less on decel. I also think (but have no proof) that it's running cooler.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a post that has a link to the a CAUTION where Harley says the EFI does not compensate for any changes to the bike. I don't know who, what, when, or where to believe.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by editbrain
I have a post that has a link to the a CAUTION where Harley says the EFI does not compensate for any changes to the bike. I don't know who, what, when, or where to believe.
The warning in your other thread refers to changing out the components of the 103 kit. The computer can not compensate for changes in displacement, cams, and compression ratio. That needs to be changed in the tune. As I stated in the other thread changes in these components is a big difference from the computer adapting to changes in the air filter and exhaust.

CAUTION: Harley-Davidson EFI systems will not compensate for any component changes. Do not mill heads or increase compression in any way. Do not use cams other than those supplied in the kit. Do not change kit components. Failure to comply may result in engine damage. Dealer installation required - failure to comply may result in a lean fuel condition and severe engine damage.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
My '06 Dyna with V&H slipons did not need a tuner. It ran, and I think it obviously ran fine for the first owner, as he put 18k miles on it like that. I will agree that a tuner was not -needed-.

However since I put the TMax (and new air filter) in, the bike runs much, much better. It idles smoother, it sounds better, and it pops much less on decel. I also think (but have no proof) that it's running cooler.
Before I installed my Tmax I was running the stock tuner but I had a set of Xieds on it just to keep it a little richer with the A/C and free flow mufflers.
I'm sure it ran cooler, before I installed them it would high idle when sitting in traffic, after I put them on it didn't do it once in a year of riding.