Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage-Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM
docsg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
I've got a 2007 FXDL/I TC96....with the 6 speed tranny. Have V&H's double barrels, Stage I SE A/C and PCIII. Pre Dyno numbers I dont have... but post dyno are Max Power 74.2, Max Torque 86.1

I know what you're talking about "hot". My right leg would get so hot, I would have to stick my leg out away from the bike at stops. It was unbearable almost to the point of being painful. When I put the pipes on, I had them richen the mixture to run 13:1 Just that little adjustment helped reduce the heat tremendously.

As for Mileage ( using only Shell Premium fuel ) went from 47-50 mpg to 42-45.....or about a 5 mph drop. I exclusively ride rural roads and highways and use a windshield. Bike is not ridden aggressively.
Thanks for the post--your situation seems very similar to mine minus the 6-speed. I don't ride aggressively (quite the opposite) but do run it up on occasion. BTW, your scooter is awesome! Like another post said (and he was right on), once I quit throttle twisting the mileage should increase slightly. Also, I'm planning a 2K ride in late June (Alabama to Ohio to Illinois back to Alabama) and I should get a good idea of the average mileage. Most of it will be secondary roads for sight seeing and loaded with my t-Bags. Although the way it performs now, I can settle with the 40-42 mpg range especially after reading all the posts to this thread. Sure would like to get the 49-50 the one guy was getting even with his mods and I'm happy for him. I use primarily Chevron premium when I can find it, Shell or Texaco premium next.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the compliment on my bike. As a gal rider, I tend to baby my bike for the most part. I think I took it up to 92 once...... scared my self, and backed it down right away. Usually cruise on the highways at 70-74 and rural roads 45-55 depending on conditions and deer activity. Living in rural Michigan, there are more deer on the roads than cars at times. Anyway..... I was told to expect a drop in MPG as soon as the pipes were put on. I log data at every gas fill up, including price per gallon, # of gallons, mileage and mpg's. Been doing that since day 1......so my numbers are accurate.
Winds, road conditions, type of roads, temperatures, load wgt all play a factor in mpg as you know.
Your ride sounds fabulous.....especialy going through Tennessee and KY. Watch out for Deer...... they will have had their little ones by then and be getting more "road" active.
Those little ones really dart across the road following Mom.
In August, Hubby, myself and a friend are doing a ride from Mid Michigan up through Ontario, Canada, around the Northern shoreline of Lake Superior, then down through Minnesota, parts of Wisconsin, enter the Upper Peninsula of Michigan then following the southern shoreline of Lake Sperior heading back home to Mid Michigan. We'll be crossing the Mackinaw Bridge going and coming. Most bridge crossings are a piece of cake......this one even gets some truckers nervous. The Bridge authority will drive you and your vehicle across for you if you're afraid. At it's center span...you're 200 feet above the lake, you get a stiff cross wind by mid day , and as an added bonus, you might be riding the open metal grates if they happen to be painting the structure. All I can recommend is you empty your bladder before you cross...if you're the least bit nervous. HA!

It's About a 10 day trip and we'll cover roughly 1500 miles give or take a hundred. See the photos below of the bridge and our route

Last edited by LWOS; 04-20-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
cruiscont-fxdf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 things
1/ did tech tune heads individually?
2/ still a 5spd trans right?
these 2 factors make a difference.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,853 Likes on 2,554 Posts

LWOS don't forget all your paperwork to get into Canada and then back out, might want to get some Canadian insurance cards from you insurance company also, if you've been across the border before forget everything I've said. Crossed the Blue Water bridge in Port Huron, that's a tall one also.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
LWOS don't forget all your paperwork to get into Canada and then back out, might want to get some Canadian insurance cards from you insurance company also, if you've been across the border before forget everything I've said. Crossed the Blue Water bridge in Port Huron, that's a tall one also.

Been across in cars.....but never on a bike. I assumed ( I know, I know)
my proof of insurance would be enough...... but I'll call my bike ins. carrier and be sure both of us........and our friend......get all our needed documents.
Our passports are up to date. Registration and Proof Of Insurance are always kept with the bikes, but I didn't know about a Canadian Insurance Card. Thanks.

Yea, the Blue Water Bridge is a dandy one, but not too many more daunting than being a newer rider ( I'm starting my 4th year of riding) crossing the Mighty Mac and having to ride those grates.