Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V & H fuelpak not fitting 06 bob

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006 | 02:23 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Default RE: V & H fuelpak not fitting 06 bob

Congratulations, Bro'. Let us know how ya did it...

Old 08-09-2006 | 04:12 PM
naughtynigel
|
Advanced

Ok, follow instructions on V & H FP leaflet for DYNA up to instruction No 7
(actually theirs are nearly right, but I found my way works ,theirs did`nt ) ( for me anyway )

NIGELS INSTRUCTION No 7
Remove battery cover and loosen torx fittings on battery tray but do not totaly remove torx bolts , this gives you a fraction more room, but not much.
Take deep breath.......

What the third picture in the instructions does not show very clearly is the FP sits on the box section of frame that runs down at a 45 degree angle (aprox) under the seat. Connect black connector from FP to factory harness first, then push black connector up as far as you can towards tank,push grey FP connector through opening in electrics box.
Take another deep breath.......
Now when you push the electrics box back into the frame the factory ECU only just goes over the grey factory connector, you have just about got enough room to connect the FP grey conector to the ECU.
Now fix electrics box back onto frame using torx fittings, mine is a real tight fit ,the front allen screw holding the ECU is pushing into the grey connector a bit and I may be brave and take it all out again and grind the head of the screw to get a bit more clearance.
The long allen head screw holding the electrics box is very hard to line up and I have left it off for now.
Follow rest of V & H instructions from No 8.
Relax the hard part is now over !!!!

I really hope that this is of help to anyone trying to fit a fuelpak ,If its not going good stop. have a cup of tea, beer, whatever,and try again.
I may take the bike to the dealer this weekend to ask the mechanics if they fit these any differently.
Good luck and keep breathing ......

Nige

Old 08-09-2006 | 04:22 PM
naughtynigel
|
Advanced

jt 1965,

Thanks for your advice,
Harleys over here are factory fitted with an alarm from new,which of course takes up valueable space.
But at least I did not have to try to fit that.
loosening the battery tray bolts gave me a fraction more room.

Cheers,

Nige

Old 08-09-2006 | 05:20 PM
phreak
Road Master

If you got it in there, your a better man then I am. I ditched the thing after I spent 2 days trying to get it in.

Old 08-09-2006 | 05:58 PM
naughtynigel
|
Advanced

Hi Phreak, and fellow enthusiasts....

I dont earn enough to give up to easily , of course I am not suggesting that you have money to waste, no offence meant.
Just that if I have spent £240.00 (whats that in dollars ? about $450.00 ? )on something thats meant to fit , I will get it to fit our I want my money back !
Anyway just came back from the test ride , done about 10 miles and every thing seems to be working OK at present.
Will do a plug chop tommorow to check colour. ( proper plug chop, engine warmed up ,full throtle in 3rd gear ,slightly up hill,clear road,hit kill switch and pull in clutch at almost same time, coast to a halt ,burn fingers taking out hot plug, drop plug, bending electrode, push bike home ,vow never to mess about with motorcycles ever again! )
untill later,
Nige

Old 08-10-2006 | 12:34 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Since the injectors were 8 deg in the beginning and are now 25 deg, I emailed V&H and asked them if the Dyna they used to get the values had 8 or 25 deg injectors during the tests.
Of course I haven't received a reply yet, still hoping. I'm thinking that if they used a Dyna with 8 deg injectors maybe the values are off for any Dyna that has 25 deg injectors. I using the FP-0164 values.
The bike does run great though but it seems that I have to shift about 5 mph higher than what HD recommends.

'06 Bob
Python staggared duals
SE A/C
FuelPak
assorted do-dads.

Old 08-10-2006 | 12:47 AM
hd_sob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mikeurig
Of course I haven't received a reply yet, still hoping. I'm thinking that if they used a Dyna with 8 deg injectors maybe the values are off for any Dyna that has 25 deg injectors.
Not only that:

Unless I missed something or misinterpreted the info, on their website I didn't find much in the way of FP values UNLESS you still have the stock ECM load.

Using their 'tool' I dialed in what I have (06 Dyna w/Stage 1) plus what I want (Short Shots) and the answer was CALL TECH SUPPORT.

Is this Fuel Pak gonna be more trouble than it is worth or are the values that you stick in there not all THAT important?

Old 08-10-2006 | 01:02 AM
madcitycustom
Road Master

Hey Mike, don't worry about having your shifting matching what HD recommends. I think everyone on here finds that they shift later than what is stated as a recommendation because where HD says to shift creates a low rev lugging.

I was wondering also about the tight fit with the fuelpak. If I don't have an alarm installed, will this alleviate the majority of the tight fit problems?

Old 08-10-2006 | 01:04 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

I noticed in a seperate file thet V&H uses mostly a stock ECM with their FuelPak starting with 2006 bikes.

Old 08-11-2006 | 12:52 AM
scarab75
Advanced

I was ready to give up as well, called the tech line and he gave me some pointers. I fits real nice right under the factory ECM. I takes some doing but it does fit. The only part of it that is under my seat is the clear top box. I did it a few times to get the wires pointed right and have checked it a few times and all is well. I feel they need to add some more details on the install notes. The results are worth it my bike sounds & runs great!