Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new speedo/tach ONLY 2009 and up??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
lampshade29
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new speedo/tach ONLY 2009 and up??

I have been waiting for this speedo/tach to be available to purchase from HD and now its available to buy, but it says that it only fits 2009 and up DYNA's.

I have a 2008 FXDC and I am wondering what the difference is between 08 vs 09, any thoughts anyone?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Attached Thumbnails new speedo/tach ONLY 2009 and up??-speedo-that-i-want.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say you could probally make it work.

Couple reasons they may list it for 09+

It says its plug and play and I know my 08 didnt not have a tach signal wire ran in the main harness (not sure if 09+ do)

09 Plus models have the miles to empty count down. I am not sure if this changed the harness but could be the reason.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speedo / Tach

This is my solution to the speedo / tach. Cost about the same as the combo unit but I'm still trying to decide what to do with my indicatior lights.

Attached Thumbnails new speedo/tach ONLY 2009 and up??-copy-of-old-dash-1.jpg   new speedo/tach ONLY 2009 and up??-copy-of-new-dash-1.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
PGDredd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice install JimmieJack.

I have not seen the tach/ speedo combo from HD before. Looks interesting. I'd have to find out if mine has a tach lead first ('10 WideGlide), if so and the tach just works after I plug it in then this may be an option I go with!

Also, what about the milage? Is it stored in the bike's processor so it will show up in the new setup automatically or do you get to start all over again?

Last edited by PGDredd; 04-15-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PGDredd
Nice install JimmieJack.

I have not seen the tach/ speedo combo from HD before. Looks interesting. I'd have to find out if mine has a tach lead first ('10 WideGlide), if so and the tach just works after I plug it in then this may be an option I go with!

Also, what about the milage? Is it stored in the bike's processor so it will show up in the new setup automatically or do you get to start all over again?
They will set the mileage in the new speedo when they order it. The 2010 WG uses a 4inch speedo though so this one wont work for you. You could do what Jimmie did but would have to move the ignition switch somewhere. HD does make a 4inch combo but its not digital.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
turbostang
Cruiser

There was a tach/speedo combo that was for our year, but I don't see it on the website. I'll check the old P&A catalog when I get home to get the part #.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PGDredd
Nice install JimmieJack.

Somebody may have answered already. I did not read thru the thread.
If you go to a dealership and have them order one, the MoCo can set the miles....anywho that is how my Harley Combination Speedo/tach came set to match the miles the bike had on it.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Max10
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had one put in my 2010 FXDC. They asked for mileage when I ordered it. Decided to have them install it. They said it was a 1/2 hour job. Labor cost $37.50. Nice unit. Big digital readout. Works good but a little difficult to see indicator lights in sunlight. It has more of an orangish-red backlight but that isn't very visible in sunlight either.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Glydiator
Tourer

Originally Posted by JimmieJack
I'm still trying to decide what to do with my indicatior lights.
JJ...

in all honesty you could probably live with out your turn signal indicator lights...especially if you leave the sigs up on your bars like that.

The other lights can be substituted with LED's on your console next to the gauges.
Seen it done a few times.

Joe Knapp (powder pro) has done it....and you can probably search for the threads.

Radio shack sells the LED's.

nice job btw.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Max10
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn signal indicators aren't in the unit they sit just below it. The sixth gear light, low fuel indicator, and a few others are in the unit. The plus side is the odometer, trip meter, range indicator can be seen more easily.

Quick Reply: new speedo/tach ONLY 2009 and up??