Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny oilseal

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005 | 07:27 PM
s2airflow
|
Stage III
Default Tranny oilseal

I've had an oil leak on my '91 FXRS & replaced the C/shaft seal,& used the mods. i.e.thicker nut,locking ring & two larger securing screws & I also renewed the primary seal as well.It still drips tranny oil,not primary oil & I'm told I should have put two quad oilseals in as well.I've used a Clymer & theres no mention of these & they don't appear on the exploded diags.either.Anyone any ideas as I need to be riding not repairing.Thanks guys.

Old 06-05-2005 | 07:48 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Default RE: Tranny oilseal

Are you looking in the transmission section, I think it is different from the primary section of the book. I don't have a clymer, just a thought--jack

Old 06-07-2005 | 04:02 PM
s2airflow
|
Stage III

I've looked in both sections but no mention in either.I got this oilseal,About 2" diam.which is more like an 'O' ring but in 1mm square section & I'm at a loss as to where it could go.I put everything back i.e.large tranny oilsealaround the counter shaft.spacer inside it & oil in transmission & put it on the sidestand-it didn't leak on its service stand.The leak is from where the mainshaft enters the countershaft-no mention of an oilseal there or maybe I can't see the wood for the trees.Can anyone describe this quad seal & have I been mailed the wrong seal?The mainshaft is barely 1" diam.

Old 03-28-2006 | 10:55 PM
84FXRSP
5th Gear

There shuld be a tiny oil seal between the output gear hub and the input main shaft that is about 3/16" thick. You have to look hard to see it but its .050 below the face of the output gear hub. Its what seals the oil from leaking between the two shafts. You need to take the main shaft out of the trans to fix it right as getting some sort of pick into the space the seal occupies is tough. And you would need a very long seal installer to put it back in. Check with you local shop and see how they do it. And while you're at it, be sure to replace the shifter shaft seal at the front of the trans. It's also a tough one to replace in the bike without taking the gears out.