Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
imadunatic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna PICS ADDED

Howdy, long time lurker, SECOND time poster.

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I've been researching adding touring bags to a Dyna and the concensus seems to be that it can't be done without modification to the bags. So I built a set of templates off my neighbors Road King and decided that it would be fairly asthetically pleasing without cutting a hole for the shock (I also have a hitch on my Dyna, bags almost follow it exactly).

Fast forward to today, I now have a set of bags off a 2003 Road King Police (seems fitting that I ride a FXDP), a set of brackets off a 2009 Road King (serious ebay score), and a plan to cut, weld, machine, fab (I'm a toolmaker by trade)-whatever is needed- to anchor the front of the brackets to the passenger foot peg area (this is a 2001 FXDP, pegs are attached to frame, not swingarm).

Before I start this excellent adventure, I wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed someone else's post on actually doing this and maybe mooching some of the intricacies off of them. If not, I'll figure it out, take as many pics as I can and maybe help someone else out.

Any thoughts besides "you're the millionith guy to think you can do it, good luck"?

Kevin

Attached Thumbnails E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna-img_0088.jpg   E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna-img_0089.jpg   E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna-img_0090.jpg   E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna-img_0091.jpg  

Last edited by imadunatic; 05-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 PM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant wait to see how they turn out, I had the police bags on my softail and I loved them

Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
imadunatic
2nd Gear

Ok, I don't have the powder coating done yet, because I want to be completely certain that everything is kosher. But so far I think this is awesome. Needs some work to truly be finished, but I'm pretty happy with the prototype.

Kevin

Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'll be watching too. I like the look of the hard bags and have been thinking along the same lines... keep us posted on your progress.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can save yourself all the trouble of fabricating/welding and just buy a set of Edge Brackets. I used them to mount my police bags:

Last edited by trip20; 08-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
imadunatic
2nd Gear

It's too late for that. I've already mounted them. I posted pics in the original post. I wanted to retain the support under the bag. I do like the looks of the bags on the wide glide tho Bryan. Very very nice.

If I decide to not change the support, I can take better pics after their coated. But honestly, if guys are not having trouble with the edge brackets, I think I would go that route, bending tubing is such a pain in the *** to make it look decent, and most guys don't have a hitch to tie in to. I love these bags though. To each his own.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Your way is definitely the best way to do it. But for a guy like me with out the know-how and tools to fabricate a metal support system I had to go the Edge Bracket route. Havin' bags is definitely killer especially when the wife is along bringing all her stuff. I scored these '08 police bags for $300 on craigslist about an hour and a half from my house. My jaw dropped when I saw the ad and price. I got the tour pack thing going on like yours too. Did you get your bracket from Jackyl or did you make your own?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Way to go! I like the under bag support. But on the '06 and UP there is no solid mounting point to the front.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

U-234, was the RK rear fender wide enough to fill up the space between your fender struts? My struts are like 8.5 inches wide (almost 9" on the rear most mount point) and I can't find a touring fender wide enough. You probably had to hack yours up and add some metal?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM
imadunatic
2nd Gear

I made the bracket myself. Oddly enough it's almost exactly like Jackyl builds em, and had I found his prior to fabbing my own, I would have bought one, for the price he is charging, it's just not worth the hassle.

The best part of adding the bags and the big *** cushy seat is that the girlfriend won't hardly let me leave the driveway unless she's on the back. I like that...

U-234, isn't Jackyl working on a bracket for the '06 and up crowd? I've been lurking the fat dyna posts for awhile. (next major upgrade is a road king front end. I want the true baby king...)
I also like Joe's idea of riveting in a metal plate for added support. I think that would work too if you have a newer bike. Lots of options, I'm glad to see others are mounting the newer style bags, it gives the guys that are on the fence about it some ideas to work with.

~Kevin

Quick Reply: E-Glide / Road King Bags on Dyna