Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Windvest owners???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
Correction, now that I look at the pix. My mounts may have been 1/2" too big around and I used rubber rings 1/4" in thickness. In any case, you should get my drift.
2007fxdc, I'm curious to know the model/size of the Windvest as well as your handlebar rise-8", 10", etc. Thanks, Fred

Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
The part # said these would fit her 09 DynaL
Where did it say that? On the Windvest website I don't see an application for 2009 Lowrider.

Mike

Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Where did it say that? On the Windvest website I don't see an application for 2009 Lowrider.

Mike
Item# 10-1242CT 16 Inch tint is for 2009 DynaL

Thanks to everybody for your help. Ron

Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
Been running mine since last fall and no issues. My mounts go on the risers (will try to post some pix below to illustrate). The clamps with mine are too big for the risers but 1/4" but I knew that when I bought it from forum member bberck. That was fine with me because I didn't really want metal against metal attached to something that would be getting buffeted and vibrated by the wind. bberck had some raw rubber strips that he had used to take up the extra space. I expanded on that and went to the hardware store and got some rubber rings that were the same inside diamater as my risers and a 1/8" thickness (1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4"). These rings were not rounded but, rather, they were flat around the circumferences and the top and bottom edges. I used some super glue and stacked two together for each riser and took a razor blade and cut a slit to get them around the risers. Then I attached the clamps over the rubber rings. Looks good, protects my chrome risers, and works perfectly. I periodically check all the mounting bolts on my windvest and they seem to be staying tight just fine. I'm super happy with it!

Thanks for your help, I have the same brackets as these. You've given me an idea, I'm headed to the hardware. Thanks again, Ron

Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Item# 10-1242CT 16 Inch tint is for 2009 DynaL

Thanks to everybody for your help. Ron
I looked again at the Windvest website, they don't have an application for 2009 Lowrider, (or I can't find it) maybe that's got something to do with the mis-fit.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by OldMike
I looked again at the Windvest website, they don't have an application for 2009 Lowrider, (or I can't find it) maybe that's got something to do with the mis-fit.

Good luck,
Mike
I'm sorry Mike, Here's the link where I found the Windvest shield for the 09 Lowrider. Thanks again for all the post, Ron

http://www.wind-vest.com/harley/dyna_lowrider.htm

Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have had my windvest for two years plus and no movement at all nice product and there customer service is also outstanding i will try and post some pics
carl

Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 PM
rockymtnhigh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those windvest owners what did you make the rubber mounting things from? I'd like to do the same to keep the chrome on my bars from getting buggerd up.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm sorry Mike, Here's the link where I found the Windvest shield for the 09 Lowrider. Thanks again for all the post, Ron

http://www.wind-vest.com/harley/dyna_lowrider.htm
Thank you,
Looks like they have more than one website.
http://www.windvest.com/

Mike

Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fhansen
2007fxdc, I'm curious to know the model/size of the Windvest as well as your handlebar rise-8", 10", etc. Thanks, Fred
I don't know the model - bought it from a forum member, gently used. I believe it is a smoked 14" shield if that helps, and the mounts are for 1.5" bars even though I have 1.25" risers - but, as you can see, I worked that out - or actually the guy I bought it from worked it out, I just refined it a little. My bars have an 8" rise which gives some room for up/down adjustment of the shield and that room was critical and made the difference between satisfaction and disappointment, for me, for this shield using this type of mount. If I hadn't been able to adjust it up enough, my head would just get pummeled and I'd be hating it. However, I don't need but the first few inches of those 8 for enough adjustment (and I'm 6'4"). I didn't want to mount or adjust above the curve in my risers and didn't need to. Doing that would have changed the angle of the shield dramatically and it would have looked silly and not worked as well.

I had a QD shield before and almost never used it because it was f'ugly and bulky and I just didn't like it. It worked but I always looked for reasons not to use it. So I took a chance on the WV just to try it. I immediately sold the QD shield and haven't looked back. The WV is smaller and more suited to a dyna, in my opinion, and if you have the room and/or the ingenuity to get it adjusted right, it works very well for its size.

All that said, I'm still not a windshield guy. When the weather finally settles on staying warm, I'll take it off and not put it back on again for the summer except, maybe, if going on a long road trip somewhere and then it will be more of a bug collector than anything else.

Quick Reply: Question for Windvest owners???