Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander VS HD Race Tuner VS ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
greenvarmit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander VS HD Race Tuner VS ?????

So I have an 09 Street Bob, and the dealer installed Vance and Hines 2 into 2 Big Radius exhaust. Air cleaner will be HD stage I cleaner. I would like to hear what the overall consensus is, power commander or HD race tuner or?????

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say ride it and see if you get popping on decel. If not I wouldnt do anything..........

Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Depends on what else you want to do the bike. If nothing: XIEDs.

If just a little, like maybe different pipes or a/c down the road: PCIII.

If you want to keep tinkering with it as long as you own it: TTS, SEST or SERT.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Depends on what else you want to do the bike. If nothing: XIEDs.

If just a little, like maybe different pipes or a/c down the road: PCIII.

If you want to keep tinkering with it as long as you own it: TTS, SEST or SERT.

with a 2009 bike the OP should probably go with the PCV.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just about any name brand add on will give you more throttle response and power.

The consensus best overall street tune will be had by using the TTS tuning kit and DIY. Its a tune that is tough to beat by even the better pro dyno tuners unless you have modified cams, heads, displacement... .

Add on modules like the PCV disable the O2 sensor and the ECUs ability to adapt to fuels where the TTS just reprograms the ECU to a better map specific to your bike and riding style. Nothing to add on or fall off. Add on modules like the V&H fuel pack just adds fuel, O2 sensors remain. If you do a search you will find many add on module happy customers and a few with bad experiences. I don't think you will find any dissatisfied with the TTS kit, unless someone is whining about having to do more work because there is not a starter map available specific to his highly modified bike components. Its not for everyone, however. You will find a few that throw the SEST or TMax away and go to the TTS.

Do a search for TTS here and over on the EFI forum, there is a sticky thread there. Also check out the why tune EFI bikes thread. Then pick your poison. The right tuner for you, if you need on at all, is a judgement call only you can make.

Last edited by ColdCase; 04-12-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM
jwatkc
Novice

I had the PCIII for my 06 streetbob. It was ok and went to the SERT. It preforms alot better. It used to ping at WOT, doesn't now. The PCIII had the O2 eliminators. That is the biggest downfall for it. The new PCV is alot better.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had really good luck with my fuelpak. I've had V&H and now I'm running a Rinehart. No complaints, but I think I'm the minority. It's really easy to deal with, and fairly cheap if you look on ebay.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
critter_catcher74
Advanced

I have V&H Short Shots, SE Stage 1 AC and a PCV after taking it to Bombshell they were able to tune it to 78hp and 84 ft/lbs it runs great accelerates smoothly and the map he made took out almost all the bumps in the HP and Torque curves. I'm sure if I put a 2-1 on it would make a bit more but I prefer the styling and sound of the Short Shots.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Rik84
Novice

I have a 2006 street bob with vance and hines shorties and a velocity stack with a screen behind it. I'm running the Power Commander. Dyno tuned I started at 58whp and about 64 wtq. I'm now sitting at 69whp and 78wtq. I can't say anything about any other models, I am however quite happy with the power commander. the power and torque curves and extremely flat and I'm at full power almost right away.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi greenvarmit... I have the same set up on my 07 street bob and first had the pc..was crap..popping badly,bad tickover etc and that was with a rolling road tune.. got rid of it and had a SERT... No probs since..only the very occasional pop on decel.

Don't know if I'm 100% right here but heard or read somewhere that HD won't cover the warranty if you fit anything other than their SERT ??? Ask the dealer.

oh yea just a thought,when you fit sert its automatically married to your bike and can't be sold on after..ergo you can't buy a second hand one.

Regards Sumpnut

Quick Reply: Power Commander VS HD Race Tuner VS ?????