Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30T Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 30T Benefits?

I've done some searching, and I just want to verify that I have this right. Adding the 30T makes just changes the gearing, so you have to shift more often. That adds some higher low end power at the expense of running higher RPMs at higher speeds.

Is that it? Has anyone done any 0-60 measures or similar to see how much of an improvement this actually is?

Also, really open exhausts tend to cause a change in low end torque, so if you made the change do you have pipes that decreased your low end torque by reducing the backpressure maybe too much?

I'm most familiar with this effect on single cylinder four stroke dirt bikes and diesel trucks, but I suppose the same applies to our bikes.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When I added my 30T I did notice a torque increase. The response in low RPMs was pretty noticeable. That being said, I run about 3-400 rpm higher at all speeds and I shift much more frequently.

The island of Hawaii is one giant traffic jam and I'll be swapping back to the 32T when I get other work done so I'm not changing gears every 5 secs.

Off the line...great.
Roll on power for passing...great.
Sitting in traffic...miserable.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

Marinepilot- if you live in Hawaii you are not allowed to complain about anything. I think this is actually in the forum rules.
I had my first ride today with the 30T sprocket and there is a lot more usable power in all gears. Hardly ever hit the interstates so cruising is not much of an issue. I did get into 6th a few times and it pulls well.
Open pipes will reduce torque and back pressure, and are best for wide open throttle (that's why they're called drag pipes). If you are looking for louder but want to keep torque, you have lots of options, from slip-ons with anti-reversion baffles to 2 into 1 systems.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do shift sooner but the more often is minimal. The 32/66 ratio is way too tall. My bike sucked with the stock 32T pulley.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The only place is bothers me is in traffic. That's really my only complaint.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Wireguided
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well ive got the 30..
Traffic or highway i simply love the change..
2 buddies have serts and stage1 with se 211 cams and full exaust...
and i kill them in the city

Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

I think one of the huge benefits of the 30T is 6th gear. Prior to this pulley change, I really could not use 6th gear much at all. Honestly I found about 75 is when I would drop into 6th, and in most states, maintaining 75-85 without making POPO's quota for the day is just not realistic, so you ride a lot with 5th winding out.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
When I added my 30T I did notice a torque increase. The response in low RPMs was pretty noticeable. That being said, I run about 3-400 rpm higher at all speeds and I shift much more frequently.

The island of Hawaii is one giant traffic jam and I'll be swapping back to the 32T when I get other work done so I'm not changing gears every 5 secs.

Off the line...great.
Roll on power for passing...great.
Sitting in traffic...miserable.

Well...if your willing I'm a buyer for that 30t pulley!

Let me know if it's soon and you want it sold.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harley gearing has crept up over the years, to meet noise regulations. The only reason we now have a sixth gear is down to this, nothing to do with improving the ride! As a UK rider we were subjected to raised gearing back in the late 80s/90s, because the Swiss had stricter noise regulations than in the USA and Harley only built one International spec.

I have just changed the 61T rear pulley on my 1990 bike for a 70T, which was stock for many years for US models. But I have a sweet little S&S 107 in that bike now and by making that change have reduced my theoretical top speed from 166mph to 145mph. That will give me an increase in torque at the rear wheel of almost 15%. I have fitted a 21T crank sprocket in my Dyna, replacing the stock 25T, which gives an increased torque of 19%.

Changing from a 32T to a 30T will be like changing your bike's gearing back a few years. It won't do it or you any harm, will let it spin a little more easily and you get almost 7% extra torque, with the same increase in revs. So if you usually ride at say 2,500rpm, to travel at the same road speed you will need to run at around 2,675rpm.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest benefit I get from this mod is the fkn FUN factor!!!!

Quick Reply: 30T Benefits?