Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud exhaust: I guess it's just not my cup of tea

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:10 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
why is it that people like you feel the need to get on your soapbox and preach to the people who choose to run louder pipes?
Fair question simple answer. Running loud pipes are illegal!

Bonus answer, I've experienced personally my right of not being allowed to ride ANY motorcycle in some areas of the country due to the loud pipe crowd ruinning it for all bikers.

There's a upscale area I wanted to move into in the late '90's called Ocean Reef in Key Largo FL. They'll allow a stage 3 jet to land and take off from their private airstrip but not allow a motorcycle of any kind to be driven into the community. Not even for home owners.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Fair question simple answer. Running loud pipes are illegal!
so don't put them on your bike

but at the same time, don't preach to me or other riders about what we should put on our bikes.

speeding is illegal. ever go 66 in a 65? 31 in a 30?

jaywalking, littering, both illegal. am i to assume you've never undertaken either activity?

personally i don't give a **** what you have on your bike. i'm just not gonna waste my time trying to get you to see things my way, and i ask the same in return.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
No they are not removable, at least not without causing some significant damage!

I think I found the part number for the 05 Dyna Screamin' Eagle 49 state pipes, which should be the quieter ones, correct?

80366-99, in case anyone's interested.
I use 80061-00
Check this out.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Screaming-Ea...:-1:LISTINGS:6

Old 04-10-2010, 06:01 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

MZ I have a bub7 2/1 system and with their stock baffle it's loud proud and a deep roaring purr. However at the end of last season I got nailed 154$ for loud pipes,so I took out the loud baffle and put in the bub quiet baffle. It has sound but not loud. it's loud and deep enough to make my presence known but the baffle has an actual baffle in it vis-avis the stock bub7 baffle which is a straight 2.5 " baffle. I'm finding it nce now to feel safe around cops and neihbors,and yet not too dissappointed since they were on @ the beggining of the season.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by U-234
Here's some info from American Rider. The entire article is a good read. They installed SE A/C and SE mufflers on a 2009 FXD.

Quote:
Between the two, air cleaners produce the largest gain. Typically, for every 2 horsepower mufflers might add, an air cleaner delivers 3. This ratio has roughly held through all of my dyno testing, which includes many non-Harley motorcycles.

Reducing intake noise causes a greater power loss than quieter and more restrictive mufflers. It is the restriction of flow into the air-cleaner box and not the filter itself that is normally the most costly. The Screamin’ Eagle air cleaner’s advantage is its open back and unrestricted flow into the filter.

The Screamin’ Eagle slip-on mufflers we tested are more restrictive than other much louder mufflers. They represent a compromise; they clearly add power but remain legally and responsibly quiet.

I have tested many different slip-on mufflers over the years and the loudest ones generally tended to make the most power, but not always. None I tested have performed better than those manufactured by Cycle Shack however, only a couple were louder. Harley sold Cycle Shack slip-ons as Screamin’ Eagle items for many years. Those slip-ons are still available from Cycle Shack.

The Screamin’ Eagle version of our test bike gained 9 horsepower and 6 foot-pounds of torque. These are substantial gains but they exist only at redline rpm. Few of us have any practical need for more power at this end of our engine’s range.

Our Screamin’ Eagle-equipped FXD gained 5 pounds of torque and 3 horsepower at 3,000 rpm. That’s roughly 7 percent more torque and 8 percent more horsepower than stock. Neither is enough to make a significant difference in everyday use.
End Quote

Entire article:
http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2173339
I used to use the Harley off road slip ons for stroker EVO engines which were , as the article states, Cycle Shacks. I have Cycle Shacks I put on every so often and do notice the seat of the pants improvement over the older Screamin Eagles. I prefer stock head pipes over a two into two for the better low end performance, I would/will be using a two into one if I can get used to the looks.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont blame you for not wanting it real loud. A couple of my buddies bikes are extremly loud and it can get to you riding to close to them. I wanted a good sound but didnt want my head vibrating from the exhaust.

I had the new SE Slip-ons and thought they had a good sound and at cruising speeds were not much louder than stock.

I wanted a little more though so I like my current set up of the D&D FAtcat with quiet Core. It can be fairly loud when you get on it but at cruising speeds it tones down pretty good. It also helps the exhaust comes out pretty far behind me.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,946 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman

f*ck you and the (quiet) horse you rode in on.

everything that needs to be said on this subject has now been said

and we will close the book on this one.................