Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud exhaust: I guess it's just not my cup of tea

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Middle of road not loud not quiet, Kerker slip ons i do not know if still sold. 1 3/4 wrapped full length baffles. actually there quit,ish at idle. if u want a little louder get PAT baffle, right side only needed by kerker.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the old style pre-EPA SEII slip ons. I like them a lot. Not too loud either. But I wear ear plugs anyway.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I run the rush slip ons with 1.75 baffles on m "08 FXDC and find them comfortable when crusing but bark loud enough to warn cagers I'm around if I need too. I find twisting the throttle faster than going for the horn when I want to get someones attention. Now I question if the Rushes aren't louder than my horn...Hmmmm.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Mole Rat
Cruiser

The Louder the Better!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NELS
I run the rush slip ons with 1.75 baffles on m "08 FXDC and find them comfortable when crusing but bark loud enough to warn cagers I'm around if I need too. I find twisting the throttle faster than going for the horn when I want to get someones attention.
That's how I use my SE's. Sure, louder pipes aren't gonna stop some idiot from turning left in front of you, but they'll wake up the guy drifting into your lane most of the time.

One thing that never gets address is the responsibility of the pipe manufacturers. Change is a'comin', from both the EPA and law enforement. A chromed-out full exhaust system for a Softail is laughably labeled for "off-road use only." Come on! If makers offered nice-looking pipes that sounded good, but were at reasonable volumes I feel that a lot more of us would buy them. It'll be too late for them when laws pop up saying we can only have OEM pipes on our bikes. What will V&H do then?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's some info from American Rider. The entire article is a good read. They installed SE A/C and SE mufflers on a 2009 FXD.

Quote:
Between the two, air cleaners produce the largest gain. Typically, for every 2 horsepower mufflers might add, an air cleaner delivers 3. This ratio has roughly held through all of my dyno testing, which includes many non-Harley motorcycles.

Reducing intake noise causes a greater power loss than quieter and more restrictive mufflers. It is the restriction of flow into the air-cleaner box and not the filter itself that is normally the most costly. The Screamin’ Eagle air cleaner’s advantage is its open back and unrestricted flow into the filter.

The Screamin’ Eagle slip-on mufflers we tested are more restrictive than other much louder mufflers. They represent a compromise; they clearly add power but remain legally and responsibly quiet.

I have tested many different slip-on mufflers over the years and the loudest ones generally tended to make the most power, but not always. None I tested have performed better than those manufactured by Cycle Shack however, only a couple were louder. Harley sold Cycle Shack slip-ons as Screamin’ Eagle items for many years. Those slip-ons are still available from Cycle Shack.

The Screamin’ Eagle version of our test bike gained 9 horsepower and 6 foot-pounds of torque. These are substantial gains but they exist only at redline rpm. Few of us have any practical need for more power at this end of our engine’s range.

Our Screamin’ Eagle-equipped FXD gained 5 pounds of torque and 3 horsepower at 3,000 rpm. That’s roughly 7 percent more torque and 8 percent more horsepower than stock. Neither is enough to make a significant difference in everyday use.
End Quote

Entire article:
http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2173339

Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM
DirtNap
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont like cups of tea,,,,,and i like load pipes

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by junior07
When i picked up my 09 Bob I remember my first thought was "this doesn't sound like a Harley"

my first mod was V&H slip ons and the SE stage I AC. Now it sounds perfect.

And now it sounds just like a Vance & Hine.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Nothing is more pathetic than hearing an overly loud Harley taking off from a stop light and watching an automatic maxi-scooter out accelerating the Harley. What an embarrassment, all caught in public.

Do you guys with loud pipes even ride more than 25K miles a year?

Remember if loud pipes saves lives, then Gold Wing riders must be the most fearless riders out there. Yet least accident prone. Something to think about as your riding rights are suddenly taken away.

Face it, it not a safety issue but a, "Hey look at me issue". Very annoying to say the least. Talk to me once you passed the million mile mark riding motorcycles accident free.

Ride safe.

BTW if you need some attention in traffic, there's a little black button on the left handle bar marked HORN!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Nothing is more pathetic than hearing an overly loud Harley taking off from a stop light and watching an automatic maxi-scooter out accelerating the Harley. What an embarrassment, all caught in public.

Do you guys with loud pipes even ride more than 25K miles a year?

Remember if loud pipes saves lives, then Gold Wing riders must be the most fearless riders out there. Yet least accident prone. Something to think about as your riding rights are suddenly taken away.

Face it, it not a safety issue but a, "Hey look at me issue". Very annoying to say the least. Talk to me once you passed the million mile mark riding motorcycles accident free.

Ride safe.

BTW if you need some attention in traffic, there's a little black button on the left handle bar marked HORN!
well aren't you ants at a picnic.

f*ck you and the (quiet) horse you rode in on. you and your chicken little, the sky of the motorcycling world is falling down attitude. until you're the one paying for their pipes, no one really gives a **** what you think.

is anyone attacking you for your choice to run quiet pipes? then why is it that people like you feel the need to get on your soapbox and preach to the people who choose to run louder pipes?

do what you wana do and i'll do what i wana do.

Last edited by toastman; 04-10-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Loud exhaust: I guess it's just not my cup of tea