Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud exhaust: I guess it's just not my cup of tea

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
cmonster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im on the fence about the loud pipe issue,when i first got my bike people would watch me start it up{with stock pipes}and say-it doesnt sound like a harley!?kinda had to agree since childhood ive learned to associate harleys by their volume.still at age 50 im kinda lookin to tone down the sound a bit,i drive a big rig every day and run heavy eqipment also-so sometimes the quiet is very welcome change.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How can a Harley not sound like a Harley? I get that stock bikes often don't sound like what some people associate with the Harley sound, but that's perception. Harleys don't HAVE to be loud - - some folks just choose to make them that way.

No twinkie will ever sound like a Shovel or Pan no matter what pipes or other mods you put onto them. The low-idle lope just won't happen on a late model, EPA governed bike, and certainly not on an EFI ride.

I value what's left of my hearing far more than some image-driven need to impress other folks. I'll keep my Harleys stock or near stock on the noise issue. The only credible study on the "loud pipes save lives" issue I've ever seen or anyone has ever been able to point me to concluded that it isn't true. I do my best to protect myself through defensive driving and awareness.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and choice, provided they're legal. And I won't even play the card that correctly says most aftermarket pipes are NOT legal - not my issue. I choose to run quiet pipes and if anyone thinks that means my bikes don't "sound like" Harleys, that's their issue. I know what a Harley sounds like.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree 100%!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. I gave my stock pipes to a local guy here just because he made his stock ones too loud. It happens.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Most people don't give stock pipes the chance to burn in. Sure they are super quiet when you buy a new bike. But, after a while they do get a little louder. Ofcourse, they will never be as loud as an aftermarket system. And, they will never have a really deep rumble.

I like my loud pipes, but they do have baffles (modified), and I don't think they are obnoxiously loud. Like most things it's all about personal preference.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Started with some old style SE slip on's with BCT baffles in them. REALLY loud, sounded good...

but wanted power and 2-1's called my name. Love my Rineharts, they are not as loud which is a good thing, the slip ons were just TOO much for my tastes.

I do wear noise isolating ear buds for my MP3 player, but the wind is just as bad, if not worse on your hearing than loud pipes. I keep music on and soft..and don't deal with the wind noise or my pipes when I down shift to 3rd to have fun.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hubby has the SE's on his 2006 FLSTC. EPA regulations came into play for the 2007 models and some say "the HARLEY SOUND" was different with the SE slip on's sold after 2006. So if you can find any for sale that were made 2006 and before, grab them.

I dont care for ear splitting pipes either, so I opted for a set of V&H Q series Double Barrels.
Sound and loudness were exactly what I wanted. Deep mellow rumble with a little bark to them. Great on long rides......wont wear ya out.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Mine are loud and doesn't affect the enjoyment of my ride, actually it enhances it. I've never been that "look at me" type of guy and didn't get loud pipes for that reason. I just like how they sound while I'm riding. Mine sound kind of like a hot rod when I open them up. Very nice! I don't think they're annoying at all. I even asked a few of my neighbors. Never bothered them either. I don't get up at 5am to go anywhere....but I may get home at 2 or 3am. No complaints or dirty looks so far.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not saying loud pipes save lives, but they MOST CERTAINLY can aid in you not getting in an accident, and it has happened to me several times. I don't care wether you are a believer in it or not, but my louder pipes (thunderheader, bassani's) have helped me from getting in accident, wether it was life threatening or not.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 AM
2010fxdb
Novice

Personally, I run V&H staggered shortys. But if u r looking for a little sound, but not too much, there is a wide variety of baffle inserts for your stock cans. Once you find a brand just google it and I almost garauntee u will find a sound byte of it. At least u will have some idea what u r getting. CAUTION: in my 17 years of riding I have learned that loud pipes save lives! Oh and helmet laws suck! Happy motorin!

Quick Reply: Loud exhaust: I guess it's just not my cup of tea