Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
floridian46
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end options?

i was recently crashed on my 2010 fxd.( driver blew a stop sign.).. the repair shop insurance man estimated to replace front forks, trees, wheel and tire...

i was thinking of upgrading to a fatbob front-end, minus the headlight... im thinking that i would only have to buy a new front fender, brake caliper and rotor, master cylinder, brake line, over and above the replacement cost of the standard fxd items.

im not sure yet how much cash difference i would have to come up with, would the upgrade be worth the money?

anyone think of any other direction i might go in the mod department, that wouldnt be pricey?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
nitebobber08
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your looking for frontend options other than stock you could check out demon cycles.com, they have wideglide, springers and diffrent tree options on there. they also have full front kits that come with everything.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest pain you will face with your plan it going to be the wheel. Your FXD has a mid-glide front wheel, which will not just swap to use in the Fat Bob's wide-glide front end.

You will need to either change wheels or work out custom spacers for your stock wheel and rotor/caliper.

You can use Fat Bob triple trees, FXD tubes, and Wide Glide sliders. This will give you the same rake as your stock set-up. A new Wide Glide axle and Wide Glide front wheel will line everything up so no custom spacers are needed.

The parts for a Wide Glide front should cost about the same as the stock replacement parts. Depending on what route you take, you should not have to take much money out-of-pocket.

I think most will tell you the only benefit you will get is appearance. I have noticed no difference in handling. I do love the look of the wider stance.

Here is a FXD with a WG front end:

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
The biggest pain you will face with your plan it going to be the wheel. Your FXD has a mid-glide front wheel, which will not just swap to use in the Fat Bob's wide-glide front end.

You will need to either change wheels or work out custom spacers for your stock wheel and rotor/caliper.

You can use Fat Bob triple trees, FXD tubes, and Wide Glide sliders. This will give you the same rake as your stock set-up. A new Wide Glide axle and Wide Glide front wheel will line everything up so no custom spacers are needed.

The parts for a Wide Glide front should cost about the same as the stock replacement parts. Depending on what route you take, you should not have to take much money out-of-pocket.

I think most will tell you the only benefit you will get is appearance. I have noticed no difference in handling. I do love the look of the wider stance.

Here is a FXD with a WG front end:

Dang John, I gotta start wearing patch or sunglasses looking at your bike, all that chrome sparkling makes me have to squint to look at the computer. Looking good bud, looking good.....

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cactusred
Dang John, I gotta start wearing patch or sunglasses looking at your bike, all that chrome sparkling makes me have to squint to look at the computer. Looking good bud, looking good.....
Bike is kinda dirty in this pic. Having problems with the wife. She claims her only working a full-time job, working on her Masters Degree, cooking, and cleaning is making it difficult to get up and clean my bike at daybreak every morning.

Spoiled bitch.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Bike is kinda dirty in this pic. Having problems with the wife. She claims her only working a full-time job, working on her Masters Degree, cooking, and cleaning is making it difficult to get up and clean my bike at daybreak every morning.

Spoiled bitch.
start hitting her, repeating the mantra:

the beatings will continue until morale improves, the beatings will continue until morale improves...

Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

JMPANCOAST I like that look. I was considering upgrading my stock '09 FXD front end to chrome. Now I may just upgrade to a wide glide front end. Need to then change out the rear tire to a laced as well.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the mods are getting more expensive.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
filthpig
Cruiser

This is my fatbob trees with 3 degree raked cups

Attached Thumbnails front end options?-2010-010.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

I like the fatbob tree. Decisions decisions

Quick Reply: front end options?