Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Track????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm done until I can get another member to take a spin on my bike to get their take. No, that's not an open invitation to everyone to come ride my bike!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmysFXDC
Apples and apples considering that the swing arm IS connected to the tranny, the shocks are the last component in the rubber mount Dynas.
You can say they are apples to apples but any engineer or person understanding physics will tell you no they are not.
Again I am not saying which is the better buy if doing just one or the other.
I personally have a need to keep that rear tire from coming in contact with my fender when them motor mounts allow movement, (When they are good no issue). Ohlin shocks will not do the same job as the TT or similar device.
TT does nothing to assist in suspending accept to keep the drivetrain in check side-side. Which in turn helps shock do one job (suspend)
Ohlin (high end shock) may assist in stiffening the drivetrain movement but even in your own statement above will not remove it. Especially if the motor mounts become weak and allow more play then should. But will change the suspension characteristics.

So the decision on which to buy deppends on the job your after having done.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better shocks will really help, but they do not address the same issue as an engine
stabilizer does nor do either of them address the flex of the front fork; a strut brace
stiffens that up (yes, the 49mm front fork DOES flex).

I've got the fork brace, I've got the TT and my bike handles a hell of a lot better
than it did out of the box. I have no doubt that a better set of shocks will further
improve it, but I've make enough progress with bolt-on items that I'll wait until I need
to replace the factory ones before delving into the Black Art of shocks.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

My experience was that with upgraded suspension, tires, etc. the true-track system only improved handling if you rode the bike like you were insane. Pre-06 bike.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
My experience was that with upgraded suspension, tires, etc. the true-track system only improved handling if you rode the bike like you were insane. Pre-06 bike.
I'm not sure when H-D changed the way the motor/trans is mounted to the frame but...

What had me convinced was last spring I rode my bud's 06 street bob (95" bb,etc) with TT installed. He has stock suspension, and stock tires. That bike felt like it was riding a rail. I was not hot-******* it at all as it was the first and only time I've ridden it. Plus I have enough respect for his property not to hot dog.

The bike felt about as solid as it could have been.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

It's hard to explain to people that haven't tried it what exactly the True-Track does for the ride. But I've seen very few people install it and not like it, or not notice a difference. It's your money, spend it how you wish, but I'm sticking by my statement that it's a fantastic upgrade. Shocks are also a great upgrade, but I'm on the "apples vs. oranges" side of that argument. Two different applications we're talking about here.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default describing twhat true-track does for the ride

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
It's hard to explain to people that haven't tried it what exactly the True-Track does for the ride. But I've seen very few people install it and not like it, or not notice a difference. It's your money, spend it how you wish, but I'm sticking by my statement that it's a fantastic upgrade. Shocks are also a great upgrade, but I'm on the "apples vs. oranges" side of that argument. Two different applications we're talking about here.
MZBuckeye, I installed the True-Track on my '06 Bob and this is what I found: I no longer have that pit of the stomach sinking feeling when leaning hard into a sweeping turn because of the "twitch" in the suspension(from the lateral pressure on the rubber motor mounts). The twitch was caused by the small frame movement side to side, and it felt, just for a second, like the bike had slipped off the rail and was going to move more to the out(high) side of the sweeping turn.
With the True-Track installed that 'twitch' has been eliminated. Completely. Great improvement. A little more vibration from the motor, but not a problem, not by a long shot.
Oh, and I had the Ohlins on my bike before installing the True-Track. They didn't address the 'twitch'. Jay

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
MZBuckeye, I installed the True-Track on my '06 Bob and this is what I found: I no longer have that pit of the stomach sinking feeling when leaning hard into a sweeping turn because of the "twitch" in the suspension(from the lateral pressure on the rubber motor mounts). The twitch was caused by the small frame movement side to side, and it felt, just for a second, like the bike had slipped off the rail and was going to move more to the out(high) side of the sweeping turn.
With the True-Track installed that 'twitch' has been eliminated. Completely. Great improvement. A little more vibration from the motor, but not a problem, not by a long shot.
Oh, and I had the Ohlins on my bike before installing the True-Track. They didn't address the 'twitch'. Jay
I stand corrected. That was a great description of what it does. I agree wholeheartedly, however I use the poor man's shocks, FXDXT takeoffs

Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
Ive had my TT on for almost a year, wow what a difference this part made, as stated above, i have alot more confidence in the bike, BTW a also added progressive lowing shocks in the rear.

with a bike jack the rear mount is not that bad, if you can pull off the rear tire, then you can istall the TT.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
That is not so! I have not one but two bikes with True-Track kits fitted, my Dyna and Glide, two very different bikes, but both of them with the same built-in problem arising from their respective rubber-mount systems.

Both bikes now ride in a far superior way, even at slow speeds. They go where they are pointed and when they get there stay on line and that is while riding in a straight line! As others have said, they also corner as if on rails. The difference is very real and very nice!

I don't feel the need to change the shocks on my FXDXT, as they are already quite reasonable and I only ride that bike solo. I have done further work on my Glide, in addition to a Trackula kit, to provide the foundations for improved ride and make my shiny new Ohlins worthwhile.

I have done what I preach on that bike! Stabilizers first, shocks after.

Quick Reply: True Track????