Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Track????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jss1975snow
Sorry, I wasn't talking about shocks, I was refering to TT on the rear install, sorry for the confusion there. I should have used the quote button.
No biggie! I'm just stoked that my Giants won their first game of the season!

BASEBALL BABY!!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In the H-D dealer world...no it does not exist because their bikes don't need no stinking mods.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many HD dealers won't know what a chassis stabilizer is. I went through it when I purchased my bike last year. I wanted a few parts install before picking the bike up so it wouldn't interfere with my riding time, but after pointing them in the right direction their price was outrageous.

Sputhe gives you the option of buying either their front or back stabilizer for half price. The front is a piece of cake to install unless you also want the HD oil cooler. In that case the sputhe is easier to fit because it is much smaller, there is a bit of oil cooler bracket grinding and shimming involved but its still relatively easy. Installing the front stabilizer will provide about 90% of the total effectiveness which is much better than nothing and worth it IMHO... but I also ride an agile sport bike. The rear stabilizer is a PITA to install. I'm running with the front only. Chasis stabilizers make a significant improvement to the feel of the bike, shocks or no shocks, on long high speed sweapers, like on/off ramps. The bike will also feel more stable over road groves and unevenness... but you may need to have ridden a decent sport bike to notice or appreciate it. Stiffer rear shock also help resist the engine pulling the rear wheel out of alignment. You will notice better shocks under just about all riding conditions, the stabilizer only some.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Not only does it exist, it's one of my favorite add-ons for this bike! Doesn't surprise me that the dealer is clueless since it doesn't have a bar and shield stamped on it.
+1 I had the dealer install it. Even though the TT is the subject of discussion every month or so on this forum, I feel it is worth the money even for a simple peace of mind.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Show your dealer the website at TrueTrack and either buy it yourself or have them make the purchase unless they are going to mark it up too much.
Either way, the install should take one hour of labor for both the front and rear.
I will say that aftermarket shocks, with the exception of Progressives, will make a noticeable improvement in ride quality but considering they are rubber mounted to both the frame and swingarm, it isn't reasonable to think they will decrease lateral movement of the drivetrain which is what the Truetrack is designed to address.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Yea it exists, I got it, put one on 6 weeks ago, big difference in handling. Tons of threads on here including one o mine with pics, check it out, buy one, install it or have your brother install it, not a big job to install really. The instructions lack a little but you can get plenty of good pics and info from past threads here.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Glydiator
Tourer

Go check out the thread about shimming your motor mounts, and then adjust the shocks and make sure the rear tire is aligned.
I don't know what tires are on the bike either being a newer model, but those also made a big difference for me over the stock ones.
My bike feels solid as a rock now, and I haven't even shimmed the motor mount yet.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmysFXDC
I have Ohlins, and I can tell the difference too!
Just because they're a sponser means it's the best thing since sliced bread. AND I'M NOT SAYING THEY DON'T MAKE A GOOD PRODUCT, in my case, I didn't need a True-Trac or a Sputhe. The Ohlins stiffened up the rear enough that, for my riding style (fairly aggressive), I didn't need it. My original plan on upgrading my suspension was, in this order, shocks then forks then motor mounts. Granted, that I'm not where I want to be with the front end, I am pretty damn happy, but not quite there. And I have no problem with high speed sweepers (wallowing) like I used to. For what it's worth, try high quality suspension first, THEN decide if you may need more. The price differance could be a set of cams, a new tire or many tanks of gas.
Apples and oranges comparing what a true trac or like component to shocks. I am not saying that adding Ohlin shocks will not net a better feel then installing the true track. I am saying they are different components doing different jobs and is not a comparison.
For instance I shoe horned a 200mm tire onto my WG and clearance is tight. When a motor mount fails things start moving more then they should and such the rear tire starts to rub. Ohlin shocks are not going to keep the play out and limit the amount of movement as the True Track will.
That said motor mounts need to be inspected regularly even with a True Track or similar device.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Originally Posted by sniper77
...it isn't reasonable to think they will decrease lateral movement of the drivetrain which is what the Truetrack is designed to address.
Actually it does. With the addition of a beefier performance shock, it will reduce the amount of lateral leverage put on the swingarm. I don't think it will eliminate it completely, but it will reduce it substancially. If your ultimate plan for suspension only goes as high as Progressive shocks, then definately get a TT or Sputhe. If your plan is for performance suspension, then do the shocks FIRST. It may save you some money!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have TT kits on both my Dyna and Glide, purchased before they started sponsoring HDF! They work. If Erik Buell reckons a rubber-mount needs three stabilizers that is good enough for me. They sort out handling weaknesses in Harleys at source and mean better shocks have an improved chassis to work with. I now have three bikes each with three stabilizers - its the only way to travel. Accept no immitations!

Quick Reply: True Track????