Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE synthetic = noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why the MoCo uses engine oil in the Trans. Ex. CVO Bikes all come with SE 20/50 oil in all 3 holes.
I use the Golden Spectro 6 speed gear lube in the trans and it takes the whine away.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
883 IRON
Tourer

Yeah, I liked the idea of running one lube for all three holes, but as soon as I heard that racket in the gearbox, it was adios to the motor oil in the gear box. To me noise = eventual premature wear and I wonder if Harley is asleep at the switch here.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know another factor is I took them loud *** short shots off and got something that has a tone to it, so maybe I am just hearing it for the first time. I have a buddy that has a preferred amsoil account so I am thinking of swithing all out. but damn it I just paid 50.00 for all the oil.......its only got 250 miles on it. I do ride my bike hard as hell Thats why I want the best.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have bounced around with the synthetic oil, partly because finding anything other then the Harley or Mobile 1 is near impossible, but I found that using SE synthetic is not good. I do a lot of low speed course work and found that the SE will break down quicker in the heat then the Mobile 1. So I quickly ditched that and went with Mobile 1 (again I don't have access to the some of the other synthetics that might be better - Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc.). In my opinion I would only use the SE synthetic in my bike if I couldn't find any other oil and even then I would only use it long enough to drive somewhere else to get something else.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The Syn3 is crap for synthetic, I wouldn't use it my lawnmower.... I switched over at 1K during the first and only dealer service.... sounded like I had marbles clacking around under me. Switched to Mobil-1, Amsoil is right up there as well. 20/50 in the engine, 75/140 in the tranny, and good clean non-synthetic in the primary.

Just my opinion on the primary there... most synthetics contain friction modifiers and can affect how your clutch works.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
mark2626
Tourer

I have to agree on the Syn3,put it in all three holes like the dealer said, and now my little bit of noise from the primary area is louder...I am going to drain all that crap out and put in Mobil 1 or royal purple, only question is, I know the engine takes engine oil obviously and the tranny takes gear oil, but what about the primary..gear oil also?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
The Syn3 is crap for synthetic, I wouldn't use it my lawnmower.... I switched over at 1K during the first and only dealer service.... sounded like I had marbles clacking around under me. Switched to Mobil-1, Amsoil is right up there as well. 20/50 in the engine, 75/140 in the tranny, and good clean non-synthetic in the primary.

Just my opinion on the primary there... most synthetics contain friction modifiers and can affect how your clutch works.
I use redline MTL in my primary. It has no moly in it. but lots of guys use atf with good results too. When my mtl stash is depleted I will use Mobil1 atf.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Mobil-1, 20/50 in the engine, 75/140 in the tranny, and good clean non-synthetic in the primary.

Agree
Same combination..

Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
bikecop40
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil Severe Gear in the tranny, problem solved, you won't regret it

Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I use redline MTL in my primary. It has no moly in it. but lots of guys use atf with good results too. When my mtl stash is depleted I will use Mobil1 atf.
I ran B&M Trickshift in the Primary for about 4000 miles... (2 oil changes) I did not like the amount of metallic suspension in the oil. It was also noisier.

Although it made the clutch feel great, I don't think it did any favors with the drive chain. The noise and metal particulate is what made me decide to go to with a regular dino in there. I use Mobil Clean... it's their "5k" dino oil.

Quick Reply: SE synthetic = noise