Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Cruise-Mate today

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Cruise-Mate today

I installed a Cruise-Mate on my FXDC today. It's quite a nice product, not much to it really, it's basically a replacement for that little crappy star throttle lock thing. Install is pretty easy, although you do have to drill out your switchgear housing and tap threads in the hole. If you order from Cruise-Mate, you'll get the drill bit, tap, and a jig to help with the drilling and tapping. It's $50 for the black one, but I found it on Ebay for $15 plus $5 shipping. The auction number is 320508151654, looks like he's got two more left. The only catch is you won't get any instructions or tools, just the product. I went and bought the drillbit and tap for $14, so I still came out ahead. You have to be very careful drilling and tapping without the jig, but mine came out just fine. I downloaded and printed out the instructions from the Cruise-Mate website.

It's a nice product, makes it much easier to hold the throttle in place than that old star thing was. Pull the lever towards you releases the throttle, and push it away from you to lock it in place. It's also easily adjustable so you can get the locking just right.

I haven't test ridden it yet (will do so tomorrow) but so far, it's a nice purchase, especially for $20.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good deal...let us know how it works out. From the looks of the picture they show on the website, it basically replaces the star nut with an arm that makes it easier to tighten:

Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Yep, sure does. I tried that little arm from Ebay that attaches to the star, and that thing sucked. It was completely in the way of my hand when not in use. This one is nicely tucked away, and it's got a spring that makes it flip back easier when disengaging it. I'll be testing it out tomorrow on my way to work.

Last edited by MZBuckeye; 04-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

So I rode to and from work today and tried out the Cruise Mate. It works GREAT! Easy one thumb flip on and off, and it holds the throttle nicely. Also the lever is totally out of
the way of your hand when not in use.

Two thumbs up!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

I've used this for a few years & it works great. Not really a cruise control unless on a really long flat road, but it is very handy nonetheless.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Yeah, no substitute for real cruise control. I helped a friend install the HD cruise on his Electra Glide, and I'm extremely jealous that the kit doesn't work on Dynas. That is one cool system. This is about as good as you can do on the Dyna though I'm afraid.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Throttle Mate lever that attaches to the star. It got in the way using gloves so I turned it around to work under the handlebar. Perfect, although I pretty much have just set it with enough tension to hold the throttle at speed and leave it there. Could have done that with just the star. I find the "free throttle" of no tension at all to be unpredictable. Throttle action is much smoother with some resistance. I like to be VERY precise in my shifting.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

That looks cool. I have to turn my star thing several times to get the throttle where it will stay in place, then, of course, have to turn it several turns the other way if I want it completely off. Pretty useless.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
That looks cool. I have to turn my star thing several times to get the throttle where it will stay in place, then, of course, have to turn it several turns the other way if I want it completely off. Pretty useless.
Exactly my issue with the star. With this thing, flip it on, flip it off. For $20, it was a no-brainer for me.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hubby and I each bought a Throttle Mate at Americade last year for about $11 each. I tend to use it only when I need a quick moment or two to stretch my fingers, shake out the ocassional numbnes I sometimes get, etc. I don't like not having total control of the throttle for very long. But I do like to be able to stretch and/or rest my right hand now and then for just a moment and the Throttle mate was a cheap, easy solution.

Quick Reply: Installed Cruise-Mate today