Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Cruise-Mate today

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you Perch. It's just nice to rest the hand for a bit. After many years of never taking my right hand off the bars, I feel totally odd going down the road with only my left hand anyway. I ride all the time with my left hand off the bars (bad habit, I know) but for some reason taking my right hand off for more than just a little while makes me nervous. It's great to stretch though.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Wasted my money

After reading about the cruise-mate, I decided to order one. Don't like having to work the thumb screw, especially when my fingers are cold. My cruise-mate came in two days with free shipping. I installed it today. After getting to the end of the installation insructions, I came upon this:

Cruise-Mate and Cruise-Mate II are intended for motorcycle warm up and service only. Under no condition do we recommend removing your hands from the handlebar or locking your throttle while the motorcycle is moving.

Damn, now I can't use it when I'm riding

Call it "CRUISE-mate and then say you can't use it when you're riding. Amazing how companies have to play CYA these days to avoid a lawsuit from some idiot.

BTW, I ifigured I would take the risk and went for a ride and engaged the cruise-mate. It works great.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Hahaha really?!?! I downloaded the instructions from the website, but I didn't notice that little disclaimer. That's hilarious!

I've also been risking it, and yes, it's a very nice product indeed.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
icufltrn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will have to look at that. ever since my neck injury my rt hand goes numb on long rides nad can't really shake it out without taking hand off throttle

Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Perch
Hubby and I each bought a Throttle Mate at Americade last year for about $11 each. I tend to use it only when I need a quick moment or two to stretch my fingers, shake out the ocassional numbnes I sometimes get, etc. I don't like not having total control of the throttle for very long. But I do like to be able to stretch and/or rest my right hand now and then for just a moment and the Throttle mate was a cheap, easy solution.
As I said, I put mine out of the way under the turn signal button - you'll find that if you have it adjusted with just enough brake tension to hold the throttle (I mean if there were less the throttle will go to idle) your control of the gas will be much better than no tension at all.
I only tighten it a bit more on long trips so I don't have to grip as hard, relieving the hand of fatigue. But never, ever tighten it all the way. That's just dumb.
I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
As I said, I put mine out of the way under the turn signal button - you'll find that if you have it adjusted with just enough brake tension to hold the throttle (I mean if there were less the throttle will go to idle) your control of the gas will be much better than no tension at all.
I only tighten it a bit more on long trips so I don't have to grip as hard, relieving the hand of fatigue. But never, ever tighten it all the way. That's just dumb.
I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it.
Not sure why it would be dumb. Up until I got my WG, every one of my street bikes had a throttle lock. Crack it open, get to cruising speed, flip the lever down. For long distances on the slabs, it's the only way to go (unless you have cruise control). If something comes up, you flip the lever up with your thumb and do whatever you have to do. In the extremely rare case of an Oh **** situation, you can pull in the clutch and get all over the brakes, letting the engine hit the rev limiter.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

No, my point was that you don't need to tighten it all the way to hold the throttle. This way, you can just back it off without having to flip, turn, push, or grab anything; just ride as normal. I seem to recall the book even mentioning that.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
I installed a Cruise-Mate on my FXDC today. It's quite a nice product, not much to it really, it's basically a replacement for that little crappy star throttle lock thing. Install is pretty easy, although you do have to drill out your switchgear housing and tap threads in the hole. If you order from Cruise-Mate, you'll get the drill bit, tap, and a jig to help with the drilling and tapping. It's $50 for the black one, but I found it on Ebay for $15 plus $5 shipping. The auction number is 320508151654, looks like he's got two more left. The only catch is you won't get any instructions or tools, just the product. I went and bought the drillbit and tap for $14, so I still came out ahead. You have to be very careful drilling and tapping without the jig, but mine came out just fine. I downloaded and printed out the instructions from the Cruise-Mate website.

It's a nice product, makes it much easier to hold the throttle in place than that old star thing was. Pull the lever towards you releases the throttle, and push it away from you to lock it in place. It's also easily adjustable so you can get the locking just right.

I haven't test ridden it yet (will do so tomorrow) but so far, it's a nice purchase, especially for $20.

WARNING!

If you order this product now directly from the Cruise Mate site you no longer get the drill bit and the tap.

I bought this copule of weeks ago based on the first recomendation. Once I got started I noticed tehre were no bits or taps included. called the guy and he said too many complaint from custiomers about having to pay for these tings. Well i hate those people!!! The bit size and tap size are not that common. I has a 64 peice drill bit kit and did not have a 21/64 bitin it. 64 peices!!! My kit has a 5/8 = 20/64 so i started with that. Then...

I went to two home depots, one Lowes and a Sears. Well finally sears had a 21/64 bit. But...... they didn have the 3/8" 24 thread (fine) tap. None of them had this. the some of them had 3/8 coarse (16 thread) taps.

So off i go again. finally at an ACE hardware 20 miles form home i finally finsd a 3/8 24 thread tap.

Now I can finisht the project.

BTW, anyone who wants to install one of these let me know and I will sell you my bit and tap. I am sure i will never use these sizes again!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Strange. Those sizes are odd, and I'm surprised they no longer include them. I also doubt I'll use mine again, but you never know. I found them at a neighborhood-type Ace hardware.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Strange. Those sizes are odd, and I'm surprised they no longer include them. I also doubt I'll use mine again, but you never know. I found them at a neighborhood-type Ace hardware.

Yeah, i wish i had started at ACE first. But they are the farthest hardware stor from my house.

Since the company 'Cruise-Mate' developed and had these things machined you would think they would use more common sizes. I plan to finish up when I get home tonight. I don't think i will encounter any more problems, but I had hoped to ride in to work this morinign and couldn't because my throttle body is in peices laying acros the handlebars.

Once installed I hope it lives up to the hype. I don't mind paying for something that works. That's why i wish the guy would at least give customers the option to have the bit and tap included in the kit. I would have paid him the extra $15 to $20 no problem. And it owuld have saved me a huge headache.

Quick Reply: Installed Cruise-Mate today