Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
kmealp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch ?

Ok yes I have a shop manual, I went by the manual on how to adjust the clutch, it said to tighten the screw all the way in and back out 1/2 to full turn. I did a 1/2 turn,the bike seems difterent. My question is if it is over done what will happen? maybe I should back the screw out a half a turn more. I dont want to hurt the clutch.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain

If its two tight the clutch won't engage and you won't be able to move the bike by holding the clutch in while in gear.

you may also need to adjust the clutch wire.

heres how I do it.

1. release tension on the clutch wire so its pretty loose.
2. adjust the clutch screw to manual specs.
3. tighten the wire back up checking for clutch release by pulling the handle until you get it where you want it.

I also found that the clutch pads on mine got stuck together.
they break free after a little riding.

this caused me not to be able to move my bike with clutch engaged while in gear, until I rode a little bit.

hope that helps.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

got to loosen the cable all the way first, then pop loose the jam nut and then tighten and lock it in, adjust the cable to get your free play right and your golden

Old 04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
got to loosen the cable all the way first, then pop loose the jam nut and then tighten and lock it in, adjust the cable to get your free play right and your golden
Right, and it should be done at room temperature. Basically all you're doing with the clutch adjustment is making sure when you pull the clutch lever back it is fully disengaging the clutch, and that when you release the lever the clutch is fully engaged and not slipping. The very slight free play in the clutch cable tension (1/16 to 1/8) makes certain it's fully engaged when released. The adjustment at the clutch in the primary case is to compensate for any wear that might have taken place.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is how I do mine.

The exact words were copied off another site.

Here is an almost fool proof method for clutch adjustment. It takes the guesswork out of the "feel" for the adjuster.
Once you have opened up the derby cover and are ready to proceed...

1)Collapse the adjuster on the cable sleeve all the way.

2)Pull the lever against the bar and hold it there with light force.

3) After breaking the clutch lock nut loose,turn the pushrod adjuster bolt in with the allen wrench while holding the lever against the bar lightly until it starts to force the lever away for some distance. (Do this more than once to get the feel). While keeping light pressure on the lever back the adjuster bolt out just until the lever touches the bar again and then another little bit, about 1/2 turn , then tighten the lock nut in this position while holding the adjuster in place so it doesn't move. Easiest done with a "T" handle allen wrench.

4)Adjust the cable free play at the lever for 1/16"-1/8" free play and lock the lock nut on the adjuster. Slide the protective cover back over the adjuster.

You should be good to go .

Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 PM
moosh
Road Captain

sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words
http://www.ehow.com/video_2330184_ad...utch-pack.html

Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
leepetersusn
Tourer

Moosh, Thanks for posting that link. Now I won't be intimidated when I get ready to adjust my clutch. Seems really easy and straight forward.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:17 PM
kpolak
Cruiser

You'll feel it when it hits. There is quite a bit of force on the hex screw when it gets tight. This one isn't difficult at all. Remember to remove all the tension from the cable before you do the adjustment.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,854 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My service manual calls for tightening the adjustment screw till lightly seated, then back out 1/2 to 1 turn. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong about tightening the screw all the way in.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
kmealp
Cruiser

I did not screw the screw out then screw it in till i felt resistence. I screwded it in then backed it up a half a turn. the bike takes off fine it just seems when your going down the road and you twist the throttle it dont pop like it did.

Quick Reply: clutch ?