Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have become a geezer glider...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Man...I love that 50% and hate it 50%. (Please don't misunderstand that...) Don't think I haven't contemplated that same mod using detach hardware since I already have a detach sissybar. Now, do what my ex-bud did on his ol goldwing...he cut out for 4" speakers for the rear. The box acts as a nice speaker box. He used an hvac hole-cutter. Makes a nice clean cut in the fiberglass.

EDIT: looking back at your pics, there isn't enough room on either side of the backrest to cut for speakers. You'd need one of the wide tourpaks to do that.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Finished the final phase of my mods today. Now I have my own hot rod geezer glide.
Planning to do some long road trips this summer, we'll see if it happens, and wanted to be able to carry more crap, especially my full face helmet for bad weather.
So now I can go with a solo setup, 2-up with just sissy bar, or full geezer glide.

I would go with the solo set up !!!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Glydiator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:24 AM
sjjbib
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I get what you are shooting at, And to be honest my next bike will be a street glide. But the look you are going for with the front handle bars and such is great, but you throw that tour pack on and it just kills everything... then again for us poor guys who have to work for a living, you are working the best of both worlds....

Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I love it! We seem to think alot alike. I'm very glad you posted up those pictures. I was decieding on which luggage to get. It was between that exact hard bag and the sissy bar tour pac. I went with whats pictured as I thought it might hold more. But after seeing yours, maybe not. The only thing I was worried about was wether your setup was safe for a heavy passanger to lean against for thousands of miles. What are your impressions......

Would you have any issues with your wife/girlfriend leaning against that. Never heard of a sissy bar failing, but I would like to know your thoughts on the tour pac. I, like yourself, think Dyna's can do everything.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

On the link below take a look at the second group of photos down on the page, you will see how I built the platform. It is built to handle a load. We took it out for the maiden voyage last night and my OL was very pleased with how sturdy it felt.

As for size, I wanted a tour pak big enough to easily hold my full face helmet, which this one does. That way I can have it with me on road trips in case of rain. It will basically be the rain gear box, and for my spare fuel bottle.

I am thinking about the rack on top to secure more, but have not decided on that yet. We will see how it works on the upcoming trip to the Dragon in 2 weeks, then I will know if I want the rack or not.

http://www.8541hog.com/harley.html

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Man...I love that 50% and hate it 50%. .
Thats the way I feel about mine as well. About 50/50.
Being detachable really helps. It never stays this way for long.
I don't ever ride 2-up, so solo for me.. Makes a great backrest on long runs.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Both your guys racks look rock solid. Thats great work. I'm wondering how strong the tour pacs themselves are. Are they made of thick material? Strong enough that they won't crack or bust were they are bolted to the rack with a body against it? Thick decent material? I see them for between 50 and 100 bucks so I worry they are thin material that can not take stress. But since you guys both have them in your possession, your first hand knowledge is what I seek.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:13 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This photo is my first attempt at this, this pack is in the price range you mentioned, I think I gave $60.00 for it. But it doesn't hold a fullface and isn't built very well.

Always wanted the RoadKing leather tour Pack, but couldn't justify the price ($500.00 range). Saw this at a swap meet, got it for a great price. Had to do some leather dyeing and install some conchos to cover some holes and rips.. But its built like a tank, very pleased with it.. Very solid.

Last edited by RonnR; 04-03-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The one I have is made of ABS, so I suspect it will last a good long time. Spent all day on the bike today and all indications are excellent. It's only the second day with it, so can't offer a lot more.
I did buy on ebay for 100, was the best deal I could find on this size. Having the storage space on the bike is nice on trips. The OL feels almost trapped, I think I need to move it back an inch or so. Other than that zero complaints.

Quick Reply: I have become a geezer glider...