Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 WG Vibration fixed, you'll NEVER guess what it was!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
PGDredd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '10 WG Vibration fixed, you'll NEVER guess what it was!!

So those of you that have been keeping up know that in the first 30 or so miles that I rode my 2010 Wide Glide from the dealer, I was bitching about a nasty vibration....

I took it out yesterday, and it was getting so bad I stopped at the dealer and told them about it (not the dealer I bought it from), saying that if a mechanic rode it and told me it was normal "break in" stuff, that'd be ok. He rode it for 20 minutes and came back to tell me,

"You have a front motor mount that went bad."

My first reaction, seeing as how I just watched it come out of the crate a few days ago, it has 57 miles on it right now, and the weather is just cracking 70-80 here all week while I have off and can ride, was:

"You are ****ing kidding me!! It just came out of the crate!! How is it just "going bad?! So what, it sits in your dealer the rest of the week while I wait for you to have time to fix it!?!?"

They said no, took it right in at 6:45, and fixed it in 20 minutes. It rides sooooo much better. After today it has 257 miles on it, and I f'n love this bike!!

BTW, it was All American Harley in Hughsville, MD that hooked me up, but I was still a little worried that I had to go through this in the first place..........

Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 PM
transam7969
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird. Wonder how it "went bad"
Badass you got it all fixed up though.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow that was quick!! Glad it's all fixed up!! Makes me wonder if a new one would just make a difference other then what I think is normal.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
bqualls
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '10 WG Vibration fixed, you'll NEVER guess what is was!!

I'm glad you got your scoot fixed so quickly, and thanks for telling us about your problem with your bike. IMHO, this post offers three points for Harley owners: (1) bikes can come from the factory with defects, (2) get a second (or third) opinion when you "know" something's not right with the bike, and (3) on the Dynas check the motor mounts first when the bike is vibrating itself apart. I've also read that some brackets coming in contact with parts of the engine can cause excessive vibration. Again, thanks for the knowledge sharing!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It sucks when people won't listen to you...part of customer service.

The mount could have been installed incorrectly and the vibe from the motor could have killed it or it was just one of those bad isolators due to manufacturing process.

At least you got it taken care of, under warranty and you're a happy camper now. Enjoy your "new" ride.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Whenever the mount was installed, it could have been damaged. Or the molding process could have been the issue? Maybe....

Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely a supplier defect, seen it happened when I worked at the H-D plant in KC. Some people inspect the parts as they put them on to ensure quality, some just bolt em on and hope for the 3:30 buzzer.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
TXcruzin
Tourer

Glad you got it fixed. Keep us up to date on the mods.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by reded
Most likely a supplier defect, seen it happened when I worked at the H-D plant in KC. Some people inspect the parts as they put them on to ensure quality, some just bolt em on and hope for the 3:30 buzzer.
The monotony of the job aside, that had to be cool working there.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
reded
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
The monotony of the job aside, that had to be cool working there.
NOPE, it sucked! I hated it from the first day till the last but then again, I've never really liked Harleys that much either. Fairly inferior product compared to what they cost new IMHO.

Quick Reply: '10 WG Vibration fixed, you'll NEVER guess what it was!!