Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I may be screwed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yep what AR 15 said to bad ground which could be a cut wire that is touching other wires and or as simple as someone dissconnected the battery when they did all your work and it didn't get tightened up good enough or has come back loose at its connections.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen bad grounds do some crazy things. I once put a battery in a Skytrak 10054. Then the outriggers wouldn't work, and all I did was replace the battery. It was the ground, even though the lift would start and operate all other options. Weird stuff.

Anyway, back to the bike. BAD GROUND SOMEWHERE.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default We now have the answer !!!!

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am and how stupid this problem was. Not stupid on my part but stupid somewhere. Indy couldn't find short, I drove home with no lights or horn and made my drug induced, post surgery hubby into the garage - I know, bad girl - but this had to be fixed.
So, running lights, no brake lights, no horn and all because of a short in the actual ignition. After looking at each and every wire and connection I started doing the pissed off girl thing and pulling the key. Well, when key is moved, lights dim. There is what must be the sweet spot now. If my key is not in the exact right loction, the bike shorts out everywhere. Haven't tried it riding. Hoping vibration doesn't make key move and lights/horn to short again but since I only work 2 miles away, I'll try in in a.m. and see how it goes. Guess I now have to start my bike up early in a.m. and then **** off my neighbors some more w/ a horn beep. The lights work w/out the horn but if the horn is out, the short is back.
Will be calling dealer in a.m. to find out about warranty replacing ignition switch and also my indy and letting him know that, even though he missed this weird wiring, he didn't cause this problem either.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am and how stupid this problem was. Not stupid on my part but stupid somewhere. Indy couldn't find short, I drove home with no lights or horn and made my drug induced, post surgery hubby into the garage - I know, bad girl - but this had to be fixed.
So, running lights, no brake lights, no horn and all because of a short in the actual ignition. After looking at each and every wire and connection I started doing the pissed off girl thing and pulling the key. Well, when key is moved, lights dim. There is what must be the sweet spot now. If my key is not in the exact right loction, the bike shorts out everywhere. Haven't tried it riding. Hoping vibration doesn't make key move and lights/horn to short again but since I only work 2 miles away, I'll try in in a.m. and see how it goes. Guess I now have to start my bike up early in a.m. and then **** off my neighbors some more w/ a horn beep. The lights work w/out the horn but if the horn is out, the short is back.
Will be calling dealer in a.m. to find out about warranty replacing ignition switch and also my indy and letting him know that, even though he missed this weird wiring, he didn't cause this problem either.
Thanks everyone for your help.
CONGRATULATIONS! Electrical problems are usually a PITA. I need a switch for my 99 Sportster too. Easy fix, especially if it is under warranty.