Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a question for Street Bob with forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeLee
First off, thank you so much for all your help so far. So, if I have this right, I should buy the 2005 kit (p/n 49080-03a) right. Not the one for '06 and up (my bike is an '09). Do I also need to buy a longer shift rod that is for the '06s and newer? Is there pics anywhere of this install? Thanks again!
Use the 2005 kit and get the longer shift rod, if you don't use the longer shift rod then the front shift lever will hit the primary cover when you up shift. The longer shift rods in the link in my previous post come with the stronger heim joints that won't break like the originals or the ones that come in the kits. There also nicer then the cadmium plated ones in the kits.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
jcopel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it according to WS6's instructions, part numbers and all. Super easy job - no issues at all. I've put about 1000 miles on them and love 'em.
Go for it, man. You won't be disappointed.
+1 on the comment about the nicer shifter rod - much better quality.

Last edited by jcopel; 04-02-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Socal Bobber
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice.

At first the sund of using the 2005 kit and a different rod seemed a little overwhelming, but someone else said they did it and it works great so why not give it a try.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Socal Bobber
Advanced

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Make sure you go through this thread -
Anyone Run Mid Controls only? -
before you make your decision

hmmm maybe I should just put on highway pegs.

I am over 6' tall and have had some cramping on longer rides, but with about 2000 miles with mids I have gotten comfortable with the feel.

Now I am more confused

Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
NOZEM
Road Warrior

Dude, no guts no glory. this by far the easiest mod you'll do on your bike.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
AlFoley
Intermediate

Well there is one simple advantage to having the dealer do the installation, mine were installed when purchased the bike and at 9600 miles started to leak from the plug on the primary cover. When I took it in for the 10K service, (had done at 9750 miles), they had to take the primary off and fix the leak and was covered under warranty as well. I am 6"2" and really appreciate the leg room.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 AM
jcopel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LeeLee
First off, thank you so much for all your help so far. So, if I have this right, I should buy the 2005 kit (p/n 49080-03a) right. Not the one for '06 and up (my bike is an '09). Do I also need to buy a longer shift rod that is for the '06s and newer? Is there pics anywhere of this install? Thanks again!
This is with WS6 part numbers. I just tucked the shift lever behind the engine bolt. I did hi-way pegs about a year. I like this better.....

Attached Thumbnails I have a question for Street Bob with forward controls-dscn3984.jpg   I have a question for Street Bob with forward controls-dscn3981.jpg   I have a question for Street Bob with forward controls-dscn3986.jpg  

Last edited by jcopel; 04-03-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
LeeLee
Stage IV

How come I can't find the '05 and older forward controls in black?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Papa Bear
Advanced

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Use the 2005 kit and get the longer shift rod, if you don't use the longer shift rod then the front shift lever will hit the primary cover when you up shift. The longer shift rods in the link in my previous post come with the stronger heim joints that won't break like the originals or the ones that come in the kits. There also nicer then the cadmium plated ones in the kits.
Have I screwed up?.....
I have only just read this thread but unfortunately I have already gone ahead and bought an 06 upwards kit for my 07 FXDC. I am now a bit confused whether I have done the right thing and which transmission lever I should be using.
Could somebody please clarify for me?
Has anyone posted a "dummies guide" with photos for this mod? (I am leaning towards the hacksaw to the shaft method)

Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Have I screwed up?.....
I have only just read this thread but unfortunately I have already gone ahead and bought an 06 upwards kit for my 07 FXDC. I am now a bit confused whether I have done the right thing and which transmission lever I should be using.
Could somebody please clarify for me?
Has anyone posted a "dummies guide" with photos for this mod? (I am leaning towards the hacksaw to the shaft method)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/5990791-post17.html

Quick Reply: I have a question for Street Bob with forward controls