Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 FXD mid control shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010 | 12:41 PM
Droop
|
Cruiser
Default 05 FXD mid control shaft removal

I have a new chain inspection cover with out the hole for the old mid control shifter for my 05 FXD. What's the easiest way to get rid of the portion that remains sticking out of the OE inspection cover? If its by hacksaw, will I need to plug any holes?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2010 | 03:41 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Droop
I have a new chain inspection cover with out the hole for the old mid control shifter for my 05 FXD. What's the easiest way to get rid of the portion that remains sticking out of the OE inspection cover? If its by hacksaw, will I need to plug any holes?

Thanks in advance

Your answer is in this post by WS6 Formula......

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6244300-post3.html

FXD2003Rider

Old 03-31-2010 | 04:00 PM
Droop
|
Cruiser

Thanks rider. I had read this post before while looking up the subject in the threads. My understanding is WS6 Formula's post applies to 06 and later. If I'm not mistaken the primary had changed in 06.

Anyone with feedback in regards to an 05 primary?

Old 03-31-2010 | 11:08 PM
fixxr
Road Captain

I changed my inner to a chrome Wide-glide one cuz they don't have a hole!

Old 04-01-2010 | 05:59 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

I just bought a new inspection cover for my '05 FXD also. I put on forwards last year and although I do have the "beauty cap" that covers the remaining mid shift spline and it doesn't look "that" bad, I wanted to get the Pro One cover that matches my derby, points, and hydraulic clutch covers anyway. I am waiting for my OEM service manual which should be delivered any day now. I hope there aren't any unusual concerns about the pre-'06 bikes.

Last edited by Sonny's World; 05-22-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2010 | 12:55 PM
Droop
|
Cruiser

Last effort here. Can any one tell me if its pretty much the same way to get rid of an 05 shaft as it is an 06 or later? I have a borrowed sawzal standing by that I'm gonna use in a couple hours from now if I can't wedge behind the inner primary.

Old 04-01-2010 | 03:25 PM
flatsix
Novice

At the end of page 1 of this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-controls.html you can see one solution to securing the shifting lever. On the diagram, part number 11A is good for years 2001 - 2005. The dimensions are shown in this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-forwards.html provided by FXD2003Rider.

However, this leaves the spline of the shaft outside of the primary cover. Part number 12 is used to cover the spline. I doubt that you will be able to secure the shifter lever and push the shaft in far enough to use a cover with no hole, but it might be possible.

So I believe the alternatives are to cut the shaft (the WS6 Formula) or to remove the back of the primary, remove the shaft, and reinstall the primary with your new cover.

There have been various threads that dealt with the issue of plugging the hole in the inside of the primary. Some say it is necessary and some say it isn't. I suppose you can decide this when you get in there.

Old 04-01-2010 | 07:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy

You have two options , 1) remove the inner primary, the shaft and plug/seal the hole in the inner primary. 2) remove outer primary cover, remove chain adjuster, using a piece of hacksaw blade cut the shaft as close to the inner case as possible, remove shaft, plug/seal hole, put it back together.

Old 04-02-2010 | 03:30 AM
Droop
|
Cruiser

Update:

I tried to find a way to wedge the shift shaft back to no avail. Broke out the sawzal and hacked about two inches off. Used an old T-shirt to catch any metal shavings. Took about 2-3 minutes to cut through taking my time. No need to use a plug on either side. She's now ready for the new Wide Glide type chain inspection cover.

Old 05-22-2010 | 04:27 PM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

Droop- I want to make sure I have this right. You removed the outer primary and cut the shifter shaft to a length that does not quite reach the inspection cover. You did not remove the inner primary and the remaining shaft and the lever that was previously used with the mids is still in place so there is no hole in the inner primary that needs to be plugged. Am I correct?

Quick Reply: 05 FXD mid control shaft removal