Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF buffeting cure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Spinner18
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha. i do have a windshield on my fxdwg, and wind seems to still come around the lower sides and up and hit me in the chest, i thought a windshield was going to take away the wind from my upper body partially.... i have seen a bike that had attachment windshield pieces that appeared to be lower left and right of the windshield to keep that wind away from the rider. where can someone find those pieces?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
When you go to Key West and get drunk and sing Wasting Away in Margaritaville over and over until you puke.

Oh wait...no that is Jimmy Buffeting
I like that much better.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Leave it in the garage ... buffeting will go away completely!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
T-CON
Advanced

Do you have the full height or low profile windshield?

How tall are you?

I am 6ft and have the shorter tinted hd windshield. What dialed it in for me was tilting it forward slightly and keeping it so the headlight fit perfectly in the cut out. Maybe an inch below the top of the trees.

Just play with it you will find the sweet spot.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Spinner18
Cruiser

i am 5'10'', full height detachable windshield, its the older style detach where you life the top springs up out of the notch, and slide it forward and then lift it off... I am not sure how to adjust this thing at all, but all of the wind seems to be coming from under it, kind of down around the tank and up. its odd.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spinner18
what is buffeting?
wind slapping your face while riding

Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The HD windshields sit at such an angle as to develop a larger low pressure area behind them than normal. The buffeting you're getting is the air coming under the bottom of the windshield and then coming up your legs - around the tank.

I think that windshields with less of a "lower" profile, will not have this problem.

Things I have done to make my buffeting liveable with my HD detachable WS:
1. changed the angle.
2. installed a modified fork mounted air baffle from a bagger.
3. 7" headlight, and windshield cut to a close (1/4") tolerance around the light.

I would like to get a used detachable, and do some experimenting.... like drilling a lot of small holes in the lower portion of the windshield to cut down some of the turbulence created under the windshield.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't the buffeting caused, in part, by the convex shape of the windshield? Basically it's a big design flaw.

Check out other manufacturers that specialize in windshields.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have the low compact Harley quick-detach screen. The thing gave me fits with eyeball bouncing turbulence when moving in excess of 55mph. Moved it up, moved it down. Got a Laminar lip for it, problem solved. Looks a little goofy, but so do probably most windshields just by themselves.....at least the setup doesn't look as goofy as big hoop engine "guards" on Harleys.
I only use the shield on long trips, say 200 or so miles one way. Did not put it on this past weekend for a trip to and from Austin (about 230 miles each way). What a pain without it, most of the time I was cruising 75-80mph into 15-20 mph wind. Very tiring on the neck.......

Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Spinner18
Cruiser

can you show me these fork mounted air baffles? i would really like to get rid of some of the air coming from under the windshield, up my legs and around the tank.

also, how do you adjust the quick detatch windshields that are the older style with the clip spring type that you just pull on the top, slide windshield forward and lift off, they mount on rubber grommets....

Quick Reply: FXDF buffeting cure?