Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill country 16 inch apes are they worth it or is there a cheaper way

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 PM
ezmac
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill country 16 inch apes are they worth it or is there a cheaper way

I've been looking at the hill country ape kit and it seems pretty easy because the wires are ran already but is there a cheaper way to do it I can run the wires my self if I have to I've got a 92 fxr. If someone else out there did their apes them selves what are the parts you used for 16s any advise you've got before I lay down the green backs to hill country.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

I never heard of Hill Country ?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU CAN PIECE TOGETHER A KIT, IT TAKES MORE TIME TO DO AND THE POSSIBILITY OF NOT GETTING THE RIGHT PARTS, BUT ITS ALSO A BIT CHEAPER...

YOU WILL NEED, LONGER HAND CONTROL WIRES (CUT AND SOLDER IS WHAT I RECOMEND) (NOVELLO EXTENSION KITS), LONGER CLUTCH, IDLE, AND THROTTLE CABLES. (DRAG SPECIALITIES FATBOOK), AND LONGER BRAKE LINES (ALSO DRAG'S FATBOOK). OTHER THAN THAT, YOU MAY RUN INTO A FEW THINGS BUT THESE ARE THE MAJOR PLAYERS.

I AM INSTALLING SOME TALLER CUSTOM MADE (TO MY SPEC) APES AT THE MOMENT.

I'M CURRENTLY WAITING ON CONTROL CABLES AND BRAKE LINES... SO IM NOT ABLE TO RIDE AT THE MOMENT.

ALMOST FORGOT THE KEY TO YOUR APE INSTALL... THE BARS THEMSELVES!

ON ANOTHER NOTE... I SAW THE OTHER DAY IN THE GENERAL SECTION ABOUT PEOPLE HAVING LOOOOONG WAITS FOR THEIR HILL COUNTRY KITS, THEY SAID THERE IS CONTROL CABLE SHORTAGE AND BEING SPRING A LOT OF FOLKS ARE ORDERING

Last edited by shimmon; 03-29-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I did my own apes, wiring ...etc... I do all my own work. But for those folks who are not wanting to get 'that' involved, I have heard very good things about the Hill Country kits.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM
ezmac
Intermediate

Oh sorry man it's hill country choppers they make pre wired ape hangers and provide you with the proper length cables I think it's more expencive than if I tracked down the parts my self but I thought some one on here would have done that already and I was hopping to get an idea of the parts I might need and the best place to get them. Whatkind of picture do you want me to post to makethis less worthless?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
ezmac
Intermediate

Man thanks for the replys guys got any ideas on lengths for the cables I think I'm going to try it my self it's not my main bike so I can take my time any more info would be great thank you so much

Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I ran wires in a zbar style. getting around the 90 degree bends was a pain, I can imagine a regular ape hanger being much easier.

If you can take your time, I suggest getting the bars, measuring the length you'll need for cables/lines/wires, then ordering.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ezmac
Man thanks for the replys guys got any ideas on lengths for the cables I think I'm going to try it my self it's not my main bike so I can take my time any more info would be great thank you so much
That question has been asked a million times on here. That is the reason it is best to just call http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com/ and get everything you need with one call.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
mrkt50
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with a hill country kit. 12in. bars, brakeline, clutch cable, throttle/idle cables, and wire extention. Mine were not pre wired.
They make the bars and the brakeline. Both are very nice quality.
However, if you do go with thier kit, insist on drag spec. clutch and throttle/idle cables. In my opinion, motion pro cables are crap. The first clutch cable they sent me seperated at one of the crimps. (motion pro)

There customer service is tops. All phone calls and emails returned promptly. Shipped me a new drag spec. cable right a way. (made much better)

This was the first bar change that I did. It took a long time, (maybe 10 hrs total) and at one point, I started to worry if I could get all back together. When I finally finished, it was a good feeling knowing that I did it myself and all works.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

For 16"'s you need +8" cables. You can piece together a kit for less, but it really depends on the type of bars and cables you want to use. My experience is that the pricier bars are worth the money as they are better quality and the coating is nicer, same goes for the cables.

Quick Reply: Hill country 16 inch apes are they worth it or is there a cheaper way