Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill country 16 inch apes are they worth it or is there a cheaper way

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
ezmac
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for bringing it up again. So I pulled the j&p book and the cheapest I could get All the parts for was 300 to 350 I think it's worth it to get hill country to do it I'll tell them I want the drag spec cables thank you. I'll post the install with pics if you think it would serve the greater good I can't wait to losethe buck horns

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good decision. Please update us when you start the install.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
road-king
Novice

Looks like my comments might be a little late...

I purchased a kit from HCC a couple years ago and have no complaints. they had the kits with the controls and everything already mounted, but it wasn't for me since I was blacking out my bars. So I just purchased the bars (black powdercoated) and cables (not pre-run) and had my local wrench do the install.

A note about their customer service - they sent me the wrong bars initially. I called them up and they answered right away, put mine in a box with the cables and reshipped that day. They included a return shipping label for the others. I was happy since I wouldn't have to wait on shipping the "bad" ones back and then wait on the return. I appreciated their trust.

A note on quality - I had them installed for about 2 years and never had any problems with the cables or the coating. I don't know what cables I had, but they weren't drag specialties, I would have recognized the name.

I would buy from them again and am comfortable saying you will be happy with the purchase.

As far as piecing together a kit goes - you will pay about the same for the pre-setup from HCC as you would for buying everything seperate and then paying the Stealership to install. I think they usually quote around 6-8 hours for handlebar swaps with internal wiring. As others mentioned, the way to save the money is to do the work yourself.

Last edited by road-king; 03-31-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: original picture link didn't work
Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM
tatfreek1
Cruiser

dude i did all my work but i bought everthing from hill country and the guy there is awesome , you could call him if you had problems and he'd walk you through it on the phone . as far as the whole kit ,its easy and not that much more especially if you get the controls chromed out in the kit!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the setup from HCCC. 16" apes...clutch throttle/idle/brake lines included. $299. I lengthened the wiring harness and ran them internally.

The bars are nice. Almost a year old and no signs of any rust.

For $300...I don't think you can go wrong.

They also have pretty good customer service. When I ordered my setup, the guy had to call me back so he could check physical inventory. Damn if he didn't actually call back. I told him I was very surprised he called back and said it's nice to deal with a company who understand customer service.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 AM
tatfreek1
Cruiser

funny were talking about this i just ordered new apes from them today!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
formike56
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezmac
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for bringing it up again. So I pulled the j&p book and the cheapest I could get All the parts for was 300 to 350 I think it's worth it to get hill country to do it I'll tell them I want the drag spec cables thank you. I'll post the install with pics if you think it would serve the greater good I can't wait to losethe buck horns
I live close to where they are. Ordered mine picked them up next day. Took 4-5 hours for the install with other items. I have had them 3 years now. No problems. HCCC (hill country custom cycles) has my vote for their Ape Kits. Will do business with them again.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im happy with their product, they did send the wrong style of brake line junction, but I think you could do all the internal wiring yourself, I think I could have. But it was a time saver and im happy with the results. I bought their pre-wired 16's, their chrome switches, my switch housings and grips.