Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Radius with Stock Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010 | 07:52 PM
greenvarmit
|
Intermediate
Default Big Radius with Stock Air

I have an 09 Street Bob with Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 and running original air box and no power commander or fuel pack. My question is; am I hurting my engine? Will I run into more problems later if I don't go buy a stage I kit or some other type of heavy breather and either Power Commander or HD Race tuner? I was told at the dealer where I bought the bike that I didn't need to do anything but now I've had 3 different HD shops tell me I'm going to start to have problems. Any help would be great!!!

Old 03-28-2010 | 08:04 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

When I put my BR's on mine I only ran the bike around for about a week then decided to stop riding it b.c of what I heard that it may hurt the engine...The bikes come really lean from factory as it is so if you do a whole set of pipes its going to make the FUEL/AIR even leaner..The only time I ever heard it was ok to run just pipes was just if you were doing SLIP-Ons...My advice get a fuel management, after I got my PCV, BR's, and Heavy Breather the bike was a whole new animal and seemed to run cooler

Old 03-28-2010 | 09:30 PM
greenvarmit
|
Intermediate

I'm no mechanic and I took what the Dealer told possibly when I shouldn't have. I have over 6000 miles on the bike and it's running fine but I just need to know for sure if it's damaging the engine for sure! Any Mechanics out there want to chime in and tell me I'm a dumb a$$ and that yes it's damaging it or not? Again, it is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-28-2010 | 09:42 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Your not going to hurt anything. Mine is setup exactly like yours and it runs fine. I was told by a certified HD mechanic, 2 parts guys and a sells rep that the 09' up computers are capable of compensating for the added exhaust without remapping. They also said that when I decide to go to a performance intake then I would need a remap or programmer. If it's not true then I feel that they would have tried to sell me the intake and programmer by telling me a line of BS about how I had to have them.

Old 03-28-2010 | 09:50 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

The only time you need anything, ie tuner,download is when you do the intake. Other than that you'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2010 | 09:57 PM
greenvarmit
|
Intermediate

The reason I'm so concerned is because I have now had 3 certified HD Mechanics tell me it is damaging the engine. The only 1 who hasn't is the dealer where I bought the bike. This is also my main mode of transportation. Once I moved to Virginia Beach, away from upstate NY, I found I wasn't driving my truck at all, so we sold my wifes car Basically, we moved here in August of last year and between August and Nov we put 3 tanks of gas between the car and truck so we sold the older of the 2 cars and kept the truck and motorcycle. It does get cold in Jan and Feb though so i would suggest to all heated grips and possibly suit!!!

Let's hear some others oppinions on the original question.......the more I hear it's ok, the better i'll feel! I don't want to drop 800-1000 to do a breather, power commander/fuel tuner/whatever i deside, dyno, and labor!

Thanks again to those who have replied, your comments are very helpful!

Old 03-29-2010 | 08:31 PM
greenvarmit
|
Intermediate

So there is no others who want to chime in on this?

Old 03-29-2010 | 08:42 PM
CraigsStreetbob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by greenvarmit
So there is no others who want to chime in on this?
If this bike is your main mode of transport, either leave it stock or do a full stage 1 upgrade. You have to understand that the bike comes lean from the factory due to EPA regs. What is the rush to upgrade the pipes only. Sit back and wait until you can do a full stage 1. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:21 PM
greenvarmit
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CraigsStreetbob
If this bike is your main mode of transport, either leave it stock or do a full stage 1 upgrade. You have to understand that the bike comes lean from the factory due to EPA regs. What is the rush to upgrade the pipes only. Sit back and wait until you can do a full stage 1. Just my 2 cents.

The rush is because the pipes are already on the bike, and have been, it came from the dealer with the pipes. When I bought the bike I asked then if i needed to do a different breather and PC or Race tuner and they assured me that I didn't.

I am concerned, all of a sudden because I have had 3 other dealers tell me that I am damaging the engine.

If I had a grand to drop on it, it wouldn't be an issue.....

Also, please forgive the sound of Sarcasm and bad attitude, I am frustrated because I feel the Dealer where I bought the bike has screwed me! I don't mean to take it out on the folks replying and trying to help. One of the dealers that has recently told me i am damaging the bike also told me that because the bike has vance and hines pipes on it that it is no longer covered under warranty! I was also assured at the dealer where I bought the bike that this would not be a problem.

Last edited by greenvarmit; 03-29-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2010 | 09:47 PM
CraigsStreetbob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by greenvarmit
The rush is because the pipes are already on the bike, and have been, it came from the dealer with the pipes. When I bought the bike I asked then if i needed to do a different breather and PC or Race tuner and they assured me that I didn't.

I am concerned, all of a sudden because I have had 3 other dealers tell me that I am damaging the engine.

If I had a grand to drop on it, it wouldn't be an issue.....

Also, please forgive the sound of Sarcasm and bad attitude, I am frustrated because I feel the Dealer where I bought the bike has screwed me! I don't mean to take it out on the folks replying and trying to help. One of the dealers that has recently told me i am damaging the bike also told me that because the bike has vance and hines pipes on it that it is no longer covered under warranty! I was also assured at the dealer where I bought the bike that this would not be a problem.
I was only giving my opionon and trying to help, but do understand your frustration with the situation. I just posted up a like new HD Screaming Eagle stage 1 A/C kit for 2008-2010 Dynas, if you are interested at a reasonable price and you can go with a V&H fuel pack for about 200 dollars. What ever you do don't waste money on the dealer download. I hope it works out in the end for you.

Quick Reply: Big Radius with Stock Air