Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
bigpig13
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Help

I am new to the Harley world (about a year now). I bought a 1997 Wide Glide, with a lot of aftermarket improvements, too include a wide tire kit.

I finally got out to ride on a nice dy here in NJ. While riding, I had the opportunity to bury the rear end of the bike into a large pothole on our fine NJ highway.

That being said, I must now replace the whole rear of the bike. Wheel, Swingarm, rear fender. I would like to get a wicked looking fender, but am having trouble finding one on the internet due to the ge of the bike. The one problem I am running into is that the wide tire on a 1997 isnt the same wide tire of todays models. Therefore some of the hugger style fenders do not look right. I am trying to find a fender with flush LED brake/rear light, I need to have a rear seat for the boss (wife). My old swing arm had turn signals in the ends, so hopefully I will be able to find that. I also do not want the license plate on the fender.

If anyone can give me any suggestions on where to look I would really appreciate it. Riding season for me is coming and need to get this thing repaired

Thanks, ride safe

Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigpig13
I am new to the Harley world (about a year now). I bought a 1997 Wide Glide, with a lot of aftermarket improvements, too include a wide tire kit.

I finally got out to ride on a nice dy here in NJ. While riding, I had the opportunity to bury the rear end of the bike into a large pothole on our fine NJ highway.

That being said, I must now replace the whole rear of the bike. Wheel, Swingarm, rear fender. I would like to get a wicked looking fender, but am having trouble finding one on the internet due to the age of the bike. The one problem I am running into is that the wide tire on a 1997 isnt the same wide tire of todays models. Therefore some of the hugger style fenders do not look right. I am trying to find a fender with flush LED brake/rear light, I need to have a rear seat for the boss (wife). My old swing arm had turn signals in the ends, so hopefully I will be able to find that. I also do not want the license plate on the fender.

If anyone can give me any suggestions on where to look I would really appreciate it. Riding season for me is coming and need to get this thing repaired
Thanks, ride safe
Welcome to the Forums.
That must have been some pot hole! How'd the front survive? How'd you survive?

How wide is the swing arm? Why does it need replaced?
How wide is the wheel?
How wide is the tire?
How wide is the fender? 7.25"? There are lots of those around.

It sounds like it's not going to be a quick fix by the type of mods you want to do.
I just sold a 1998 Dyna rear fender on Ebay, so I'd suggest continue looking there. Once you get one you could chop it or shave it, make or buy a side mount plate holder and go with a Run-Stop-Turn module.

Replacing the 'stock' swing arm maybe the hardest part. If it's an after market arm (wider) it'd be easier to get another one.
There should be plenty of wheels around depending on the diameter & width.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Bump for the new guy.