Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Request - How to remove throttle /idle cable from switch housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 PM
wattsupFXDC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Request - How to remove throttle /idle cable from switch housing

I am preparing my bike for new handlebars. I have the switch housing and wires removed from my old right handlebar grip. How do you seperate the throttle/idle cables from the switch housing?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:57 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it's different on newer models, but on mine you just pull them out. (I say Just, but you really have to pull the hell out of 'em.)

Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CP is right, just tug on em. You shouldnt have to do it too hard, just kinda rock em back and forth as your pulling, should pop right out

Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Why don't you just remove the cables from the throttle grip housing and leave them in the switch housing. That way you just take the throttle grip assembly off after splitting the switch housing and let it stay on the bike hanging by the cables. No need to remove the cables themselves from the switch housing unless your changing out the cables too.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 875 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Why don't you just remove the cables from the throttle grip housing and leave them in the switch housing. That way you just take the throttle grip assembly off after splitting the switch housing and let it stay on the bike hanging by the cables. No need to remove the cables themselves from the switch housing unless your changing out the cables too.

+1....

In case you're changing out the housings/cables: here's a link to one of the IS in my database (see link in my signature) that can help you out (see page 2 & 5)...

chrome switch housing kit ...70222-96B (added 09-17-2009)

FXD2003Rider

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Like the others said they just pull out. It takes a pretty good tug but they will pop out.

As for those asking why, lots of differnt reasons besides new cables. I took mine out so I could take the bars and housings inside the house to do the internal wiring.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

When I changed my housing I had a hard time getting the cables out of the housing too. I sprayed some lube then pulled them so that the wider part was out of the housing, then used a screwdriver to gently twist to get them to to pop out.

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM
wattsupFXDC
Advanced
Default Thanks for the replies

I pulled the hell out of it. rocked it back and forth. They finally came out of the housing. Thanks for the advise, I thought that I was going to break the housing, but it finally cleared.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

take the housing apart
take the brass ferrels off the cable ends
once the cables are free .. grab ahold of the metal angled end and in a "rocking" motion pull and they'll pop out. one hole is larger than the other so they only go back in one way

Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Hotwire
Tourer

this isnt so easy, Iv been pulling on these f'in cables for nearly an hour...... I need to some some more time "Alone". lol

Quick Reply: Help Request - How to remove throttle /idle cable from switch housing