Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sold sporty for a Dyna...up-date

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default sold sporty for a Dyna...up-date

My original thread from last October 09

thinking to sell my Sportster for a new Dyna.

My first Harley was a 2000 1200-C Loved it . Now I have a 06 1200-C love this one too. I have always wanted a BT but I ride solo so Sportsters have always worked out well for me. Only things I never liked was the vibs, and the rpm's seem a bit high going over 75 mph plus it's hard to make a Sporty ride smooth.
Knowing this, my best friend after 10 years with out a bike, wants to get back on one, he has never owned a Harley. He wants a Harley this time and would like to buy my bike.
I looked at the new 2010 Dyne-C, now that it has a blacked out motor it looks cool to me, But I love black motors. I love the idea of a 6 speed, so I'm looking for advice from anyone that liked there Sporty and went to a Dyna.
I don't want any Sportster bashing, just how do you feel now that you have went from your Sporty to a Dyna...Thanks.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................
12/9/09

It was delivered to my home today, 2010 black FXDC, with VH BSS pipes and a SE chrome round AC, at 1:43 pm Michigan time. Snowing out and winds around 40 mph, but I don't care I have a new Harley in my garage. I took pics of the delivery trailer and the bike as soon as it was off the trailer. I took 6 or 7 pics of the bike and the delivery guy took one of me on it. I don't know how to put them up but my Son is coming over this weekend and he said he will put up the pics then. My friend that got my Sporty is very excited to finally own a Harley. I'm very happy for him too. His new to him Sporty runs great. I'm looking forward to riding with him this coming Summer.
A lot of the reason I got a new Dyna was based on the advice I got from a lot of you. Seemed a lot of you loved your Sporty just like I do, yet all of you was happy you went with a new Dyna.
I wont know how much I will like it over the Sporty until this Spring. As soon as I get around 500 miles on her I will give a detailed report on how much I do or don't like it over the Sportster... One thing for sure I know I will like the 6 speed.
Thanks to all of you for your advice.
BTW my new FXDC looks awesome.
.................................................. .................................................. .....................

Up-Date 3/24/10

Just got back from my 2nd day of riding my new 10 FXDC. With only 217 miles on her it's to early to go in to a lot of details. But I can say this, I'm very happy with it, and very happy that I took all of the advice I was given on here.
Just for now there is 3 things that really stand out over my Sportsters.
Number-1. Smoother ride, much smoother then any sporty I have been on...Love it.
Number-2. 6 speed... Love it.
Number-3. Clearer vision in the mirrors...Love it.
After I get the 1000 mile service I will do a complete detailed comparison. No matter how much my love for this Dyna grows, I will always have great respect for Sportsters.
Thanks again to all of you for your advice.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like it! Ride safe.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default sold sporty for a Dyna...up-date

Congratulations on the purchase of the FXDC. I liked my Sportster too, but I'm glad I upgraded to the Dyna. I traded in my Sportster under the full MSRP trade-in program last year. No regrets here. Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool deal!!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
EHLTB66
Tourer

Glad to hear you enjoy the new Dyna, love mine too. Had 2 Sportys in the past, an 87' and a 77'. Loved both of them. I don't really think its fair to say going to a dyna is an upgrade. They are two completely diffrent bikes, sure the Dyna costs more, but the Sporty has been around since 57' and kicking big twin as@s since then also. It wasn't all that long ago when a 1000cc bike was a Big bike. Just a little rant, congrats and ride safe.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It'll grow on ya! Yep; never run out'a gears now.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy the new ride.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like you made the right move then, huh? Welcome to the BT world.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Welcome to Dyna-World from another former Sportster pilot. I miss my 2001 XL a lot; especially the performance and handling (100hp/88ft lbs). With a few mods, my FXDXT has filled most of the gap, but it'll never be the same. Definately the Dyna's are more comfortable on a long haul and a good versatile bike; not as focused as an 850lb loaded tourer.....I'd like to find a resonably priced 2000-2003 for my son-in-law to learn on; they don't seem to go down in price up here in Canada as much as down in the states. Will keep looking.

Attached Thumbnails sold sporty for a Dyna...up-date-old-muscle.jpg   sold sporty for a Dyna...up-date-yellowstone-sign.jpg  
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bqualls
Congratulations on the purchase of the FXDC. I liked my Sportster too, but I'm glad I upgraded to the Dyna. I traded in my Sportster under the full MSRP trade-in program last year. No regrets here. Enjoy!

Exactly my words, too.