Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap and spray coating....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Gambler72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Wrap and spray coating....

Guys,

Im looking to take the heat shields off my ripsaws and wrap the pipes in black exhaust wrap... do I want 1 in or two inch wide? Im assuming one 50 foot roll will be more than enough? What do I use to clamp the wrap? Just basic hose clamps? Ive read the the wrap will actually destroy the pipes over time... Anyone had wrap on their pipes for a few years and can confirm or deny that? Also Ive heard that the black wrap will fade to gray quickly... anyone have any luck "painting" them? If so Im assuming a very specific type of paint?

NEXT....

Blacking out chrome\polished parts... Im thinking that black Duplicolor truck bed coating will matce the already "stock" blacked out parts of my 07 street bob... Is that what everyone else is using? Also dumb rookie question do I rough up the chrome before I spray?

Holy crap thats a alot of questions.... Thanks guys....

Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wrap will ruin the finish on the chrome as soon as you start it up. I like 2" wide because I think the 1" wide gives too many wraps and looks too busy. The 2" is a hassle to wrap though, you have to get it wet and really stretch it to get it to wrap nicely. I also use the black wrap and spray it with the silicone spray made specifically for it but it still turns out gray pretty quickly. Not sure if the tan wrap would hold the color better. I've use plain old hose clamps, safety wire and the clamps made specifically for the wrap, it all works but the safety wire takes a little more effort to do nicely. I also start at the *** end of the pipe and finish at the exhaust port because since you wrap it over itself when starting the wrap it looks cleaner on the end that you see most.

Not sure what everyone uses to paint their chrome for a factory look but yes, scuff the chrome with a red scotchbrite pad prior to spraying.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm planning on wrapping my pipes as well. I did a search on this board and found tons of results on this topic. Based on what I've read, DEI makes some pretty good wrap. Most people are using 2in and they sell a silicone spray to protect the wrap from discoloration. As far as length, I'm not too sure how much you will need, I bought a 50ft roll to wrap my Thunderheader.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Gambler72
Tourer

thanks guys.... sounds like 2 inch is the way to go...

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Gambler72
Tourer

now... anyone have any insight into the use of duplicolor truck bed liner to black out parts? and to scuff or not to scuff before painting?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

Originally Posted by Gambler72
now... anyone have any insight into the use of duplicolor truck bed liner to black out parts? and to scuff or not to scuff before painting?

I answered your scuffing question. What are you painting?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Gambler72
Tourer

Thanks shovel... I overlooked that the first time... my bad... Im looking to black out the horn, struts, perhaps rocker boxes etc etc etc...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

I'll leave that answer for the black bike brigade. VHT makes a nice wrinkle black but I don't have any first hand experience with it and wouldn't wanna steer ya wrong.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Yldtang
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
I'll leave that answer for the black bike brigade. VHT makes a nice wrinkle black but I don't have any first hand experience with it and wouldn't wanna steer ya wrong.

The BBB.......I like it.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
mikeault
Tourer

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't use bedliner on anything that gets hot. I know a bunch of guys who use high temp spraypaint with pretty good results. Search around the forum, I've read a bunch on it.
I would think the bedliner would discolor pretty bad, or worse - melt.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap and spray coating....