Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Removal & Mess

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Oil Filter Removal & Mess

I can't wait to get my '08 FXDWG that is soon to be in my garage. I've downloaded a service manual and have a rough idea on how to do the 3 fluid changes now, (plus help from this forum, thanks for that). Now a fellow showed up today where I was having a coffee and I went over to look at his similar '08 Street Bob. After looking at the filter location, how can you reduce the mess that will inevitably rain over the motor? I was thinking of stretching a garbage bag around it and attack the rest with brake clean. Any ideas on how to to this with minimal spillage?
Thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting enough, if you drain your main oil compartment first, when you remove your oil filter, the residual fall out is neglible..

lmfaoooo,
always wanted to say that...
you'll be ok, just did mine, the amount of oil dripping out is not that much. just be aware when you start to pull the filter not to tip it downward.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Cut a 16oz soda bottle in half (long way ), put it under the filter. Harley makes a similar thingy for like, $10

Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
interesting enough, if you drain your main oil compartment first, when you remove your oil filter, the residual fall out is neglible..

lmfaoooo,
always wanted to say that...
you'll be ok, just did mine, the amount of oil dripping out is not that much. just be aware when you start to pull the filter not to tip it downward.

P.S.-- I used a paper towel or two under the filter to soak up the oil that spilled

Old 03-23-2010, 05:23 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Cut a 16oz soda bottle in half (long way ), put it under the filter. Harley makes a similar thingy for like, $10
+1...

First drain the oil pan before you remove the old filter; DO NOT spill oil on the rubber engine mounting block: the oil will ruin it!

Follow this link and find the instructions & pictures:

http://www.ernstmfg.com/Images/pdfs/...ctions_web.pdf

Like Keithhu said...the funnel shown can easily be made out of a plastic soda pop bottle....

FXD2003Rider

Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always just used a piece of tin foil folded in sort of a half funnel shape and drain it into the drain pan. You'll barely spill a drop. Works great and it's cheap.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
interesting enough, if you drain your main oil compartment first, when you remove your oil filter, the residual fall out is neglible...
I agree about draining the oil pan prior to removing the oil filter, but I disagree that doing so results in negligible residual fall out.

I punch a hole in the bottom edge of my oil filter, and then one on the top to allow air flow. I then have this drain on to a piece of tin foil I have positioned in such away to take this draining fluid away from the bike and in to my spent oil container.

Draining as much from the filter before removing it is the only thing I've found that cuts down on spillage.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I drain the pan first, I really don't get that much spillage from the oil filter. I just wipe up the spillage. I like my bike clean, but I am not a fanatic about the engine being clean. So, some people may freak out at oil stains on my engine that I don't care about. Putting a rag or paper towels under the filter is also a good way to go as CRZYLGGZ points out.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to the soda bottle trick....scroll about half way down the page for pics. Worked great for me...didn't spill a drop!!

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
cwinding
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper box

I tried folded corrugated paper box formed like a Vee... worked great for me, not a drop!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Removal & Mess