Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Question?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006 | 06:12 PM
Ouiser
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT Question?????

I didn't realize that maps were the only option for the SERT or PCIII. Isn't it possible to adjust manually instead of using a download?

I read in another thread (I'll attempt to find it) that The SERT has many more parameters that can be set than the PCIII has.

Edit: here it is: https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

Old 08-03-2006 | 07:14 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZ Rider, you've got that completely backwards. The SERT allows you to adjust every parameter of the map. It allows you to finely tune for ANY combination. You are not restricted to canned maps. The number of maps available to the user is almost infinite. The PCIII has much more limited adjustability. Far fewer parameters can be modified. There's a lot of misinformation in your post dude.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_341723/tm.htm

Old 08-03-2006 | 07:22 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: CraigC

ORIGINAL: mhbetzer

That's just the reason I wouldn't buy a POS like that from Harley.
It's by far the best and most comprehensive tuner available. All those car/truck tuners like Hypertech and Superchips do the same thing.
I used a Power Commander on a few EFI bikes and decided to go with the SERT this time. I can tell you for a fact the SERT has LESS features and sucks compared to products like the PCII and PCIII.

As soon as I have a few extra bucks to burn, the SERT goes into the trash for sure.

Has anyone figured out how to hack the SERT and reset it so its not tied to the EFI unit??

Old 08-03-2006 | 07:25 PM
jw5150
Cruiser

SERT is where it's at!! So I paid $357 for it. I can make infinite changes to my bike and never have to buy a download. There is a lot to learn if you want to use it correctly. Able to do more with SERT than any other tuner out there.

Old 08-03-2006 | 07:33 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jw5150

SERT is where it's at!! So I paid $357 for it. I can make infinite changes to my bike and never have to buy a download. There is a lot to learn if you want to use it correctly. Able to do more with SERT than any other tuner out there.
WRONG!! I have used it correctly, have tuned my 06 deuce better than the dealer who has a dyno. Improved my gas mileage and power to boot. I have also used the PCIII and it is far superior to the SERT in many ways.

For one thing, say you have your bike dyno'd with a SERT. Try and get the data out. Can't do it. With a PCIII you can get the map back out of the unit. That is how Harley Dealers screw us.

They used my SERT data that was loaded into the ECU, modified it directly in the ECU and refuse to give me the data that I paid $300 for. Besides doing a horrible job of dyno tuning the bike. I have wasted $300 on the dyno tune and over $300 bucks on the SERT.

Old 08-03-2006 | 07:49 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

One reason I'm sticking with the SEII + A/C + HD Download, for the time being, is this very issue - SERT vs PCIII.

That and the $1,000+ for the new parts/labor.

At some point I think I'd like to go with some V&H, either short shots or Big Radius. By then I hope to have a better idea of what will provide me with the best map.

Another thing I am still a bit uncertain about:

Is it 'worth' getting a SERT/PCIII and NOT have it dynoed? Or is the dyno a given?

THANKS!

Old 08-03-2006 | 07:55 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

AZ Rider, you've got that completely backwards. The SERT allows you to adjust every parameter of the map. It allows you to finely tune for ANY combination. You are not restricted to canned maps. The number of maps available to the user is almost infinite. The PCIII has much more limited adjustability. Far fewer parameters can be modified. There's a lot of misinformation in your post dude.
I never said you couldn't adjust the SERT maps. I stated that it takes more time and that additional maps with aftermarket components are at an additional cost for the SERT. Sure, you could adjust for ANY combination starting at ground zero. Have fun and you better know what you're doing. I believe the PCIII to be more easier to use.

The maps from PC Commander are also completely adjustable as well. You load a map and you can tweak it from there. Or you can tune and adjust to your own specific setup.

Canned maps? All maps are setup to run best with the components that the map is designed to match with. But these maps are obviously changeable as well. These maps are component specific with specific setups that allow for maximum efficiency, that's why they are individual maps. You can still modify these parameters by changing the tables whichever way you want. Down to very fine, fine changes.

As far as I know, you can't tune both cylinders at the same time with the volumetric efficiency tables with the SERT. And every time an adjustment is made, the bike must be turned off and restarted. The advanced mode with SERT with all those VE parameters would take many, many hours because every change must be downloaded and then the bike must be turned off then restarted. It can't download on the fly as a PCIII can.

Old 08-04-2006 | 02:54 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AZ Rider,

Well,... I will agree that the PCIII does have a few features that make it more user friendly, and I will also say that there are more Dyno tuners out there who deal with the PCIII than with the SERT. But the SERT is still every bit as good of a unit as the PC III in the hands of a good tuner, BUT I will also say that truthfully the PCIII might be the best product for a novice do=it-yourselfer who just wants to improve how his bike runs over the factory H-D maps, Since there is alot more various map configurations available for it. The SERT was my choice over the PCIII mainly because I have a good relationship with the service manager at my local dealer and he stated that he wouldnt question any warranty issues if I used a SERT but I'd be stuck out if I went with a PCIII.
And YES,.... You can adjust both cylinders at the same time in the AFR table in Basic mode or you can adjust them seperately in advanced mode in the VE tables. And No,.... it wouldnt take any considerable more amount of time to adjust the VE tables in the SERT,... Yes you do have to shut down the bike and restart it each time you add adjustments but come on, you also have to do that each time you add programs to your home computer as well..... and that dont equate to HOURS MORE TIME. BUT,... with the SERT you are also writing directly to the bikes computer,... You are not running a piggyback devise as with the PCIII, which in alot of instances having a piggy back devise is not a bad thing if you ever want to remove it for warranty issues without the dealer knowing, because dealers will give you a hard time for using a PCIII. Also you are making use of your O2 sensors with the SERT while the PCIII bypasses them,...OK,...,OK,... thats not always such a big deal, considering the limits of the H-D sensors information gathering capabilities anyway, as long as the PCIII map is a good one and its not one made up by someone who dont have a clue bypassing the sensors isnt a big deal.
I think both the PCIII and SERT are good products, while I agree that if I had a dealer who, "like alot of dealers", would have given me a hard time about my sert,... I would have just bought a PCIII and saved the extra $$$ and probably been just as happy.

Another note: There is an article in the September American Iron Magazine talking about the various EFI control units and it goes in a lil more depth about the SERT and the PCIII and basically the editor says that he feels that both are good units while the PCIII is definately more user friendly, and that will prob sum it up.

John

John

Old 08-04-2006 | 02:45 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

JMBear,

You make some good points. I posted a thread about that article in AIM a few days ago. I agree, they are both good products.

Old 08-04-2006 | 02:55 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

Is it 'worth' getting a SERT/PCIII and NOT have it dynoed? Or is the dyno a given?

Quick Reply: SERT Question?????