Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Glydiator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS

I would like to make a suggestion.....if you lower the rear, lower the front forks as well, or she may feel the bike is top heavy and harder to steer and have more of a reach up to her handlebars. After mine was lowered, it changed the center of gravity....to where I feel like I'm now sitting "IN" my L.R. rather than "on" it.

http://www.debrix.com/1-Under-Jiffy-...27-0593-vt.htm
I'm not arguing here... I just want to try to understand this.

If the rear is lowered, it doesn't raise the front. so technically speaking it would still lower your center of gravity a little, thus making it easier to handle?
I do understand that it may change the 'ratio' of weight from front to back possibly, but even that would be slight...or so i would think.

I am thinking of lowering my superglide an inch or 2 in the rear, but don't want to screw up the handling.
So, if anyone can verify that it does affect the handling in a negative way, or positive way, please lets hear about it.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:00 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

So I put 12" Progressives on my FXDC... lowered it probably an 1". Can't say whether it negatively affected the handling or not... I can still scrape in the corners and shoot twistys.

What it will do (just lowering the rear) is give you an "old wide glide feel"... meaning that because of the slight rake change, it can "help" you steer at slow speeds. Some people don't like that "help"... throws them off a bit. Personally... my bike handles as well as I can push it, and then some.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lowering my front end by 1" actually IMPROVED my handling because I my arms weren't reaching up and I wasn't leaning forward ( you tend to sit or slide back in the seat more when you lower the rear and not the front) trying to turn the handlebars.

All I can say is that it improved my handling by lowering the forks. It's doesn't have that " heavy feeling" for me anymore.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Damnit, I was two seconds from buying another 1 inch lower kickstand for my Springer install till I read this thread. Never even heard of the grinding thing. Gonna take a look at that tonight. Man, the forum comes threw again.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I lowered my 05 Low Rider 1" in the rear with progressive shocks and had no issues with the stand, And handling is fine. Only Issue is be careful with rear turn signal wires etc in fender
pending how low you go, I had an Issue with a rub on the wires and had to do some rework
Carl