Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 dyna Primary noise--- stator

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your stator/rotor replacement is going to be coming from your wallet. While there have been LOTS of issues, haven't seen any acceptance from Harley.

The Inner Primary Bearing is up in the air. The Moco first created an amendment to the owners manual stating they would change the bearing as part of scheduled maintenance every 15,000 miles. They then issued a letter staing it was no longer needed. How easy it is to have it covered depends on your dealer.

The are several guys on here who had the bearing changed upon its first failure, and the bearing, tranny case, and inner primary case changed on the second failure, all on the MoCo's dime.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by markk
thanks guys- my bike just turned 20,000 right befor i parked it for the winter.

does harley still cover that?
mark, try to get your dealer to work with you on the stator.

some folks have been successful having HD pay for the stator/rotor failure.

if you have to do it yourself, don't forget new stator bolts.

I have a new 06 stator if you need....................................

Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its an uphill battle, but dont give up.. On my 4th IPB, I called Customer Service in Milwaukee.
By the time it was over I got a new Inner Primery bearing and case, new transmission case and gear pack,
and new 1-peice stator and rotor. All on Harleys dime.. Just be nice and polite, it pays off.
Here's PKellyMC's link that really helped me..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-bearing.html
Good Luck

Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 on the baker that is what i put in mine, real smooth
man i got lucky my 06 stator cover was welded... thankfully!

Last edited by JRK5892; 03-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jrk

Originally Posted by JRK5892
+1 on the baker that is what i put in mine, real smooth
man i got lucky my 06 stator cover was welded... thankfully!
What month was your bike Made?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called HD Cust Service 404 343-4056 and took my bike to dealer, MoCo covered the parts not the labor, cost me $392 on labor, instead of $560, mine was built in April 06. It might be a diff story for you since you already took bike apart .

Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
markk
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

i had called both two difrent dealers in my area- both about an hr away from the house. and they just told me to bring it in and they will tear it apart and look and they told me the labor was gona be so much-- Im not a mechanic by trade- but its no big deal to split down atvs or dirtbikes and rebuild the motor/tranny whatever is needed-- So i have a hard time paying somone to do work that i can do and do well.

thats why i took it apart- called my salesman of the bike and part owner in the business where i bought this bike and im sending him the pics and he told me he would get back to me.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Well just got mine back together and I lied, well didn't mean to, didn't realize I was missing soem dowels.
The first pic here shows two of the 4 dowels I have and you should have too, but these two dowels only help align the outer primary cover on, which has squat to do with the ipb and premature failure. Look for the two green arrows.

The other two dowels you and I have are at the starter housing attach points, again where the green arrows are.

But once again, that doesn't do squat for aligning the inner case to correct alignment with the transshaft. Where the red arrows are, is I think, the 07's have dowels, which give a positive position for correct alignment of case to transmission to cover, so the ipb is not subjected to sideload from misalignment. I don't have those dowells, thought I did when I had the case open a year ago but this time I took pics and sure enough I don't so just like the rest of my 06 buds, we are doing without, and mine is an june 06 mf date. But I ain't settling for doing without bro,

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
Well just got mine back together and I lied, well didn't mean to, didn't realize I was missing soem dowels.
The first pic here shows two of the 4 dowels I have and you should have too, but these two dowels only help align the outer primary cover on, which has squat to do with the ipb and premature failure. Look for the two green arrows.

The other two dowels you and I have are at the starter housing attach points, again where the green arrows are.

But once again, that doesn't do squat for aligning the inner case to correct alignment with the transshaft. Where the red arrows are, is I think, the 07's have dowels, which give a positive position for correct alignment of case to transmission to cover, so the ipb is not subjected to sideload from misalignment. I don't have those dowells, thought I did when I had the case open a year ago but this time I took pics and sure enough I don't so just like the rest of my 06 buds, we are doing without, and mine is an june 06 mf date. But I ain't settling for doing without bro,

Cactus,
Thanks for taking the time to post and share the photos along with the explanations. It makes everything associated with this problem that our models are experiencing crystal clear. Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cactusred, that must be the '07 compensator sprocket and stator. Mine don't look like that.

Quick Reply: 06 dyna Primary noise--- stator