Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before photos - new rear fender for FXD

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is comparative look of intended end result ... more or less ... I am going to go with a tombstone and won't be using the 'lolli-pop' turn signals ... but, my plan is to align the FL fender holes to the stock Dyna strut ....

In mocking it up, it seems the rear Dyna strut hole lines up with the second-to-rearmost hole on the FL fender ... according to my measurement, the replacement fender will ride about 3/4" higher than the stock Dyna fender ... it kind of appears that way in the photo ... only thought I had was to maybe 'rotate' the front of the fender down a couple of degrees ....

The other thing that is beginning to get my attention is a battery cover that bikerlaw had sent me ... I'm going to knock the rust off of it and see if I can figure out a mounting scheme ... the cover is bigger and does not have a 'right angle' on the front side ... I am thinking I'll bend the sides back against the front and then from a point set back in about 1/2" - 3/4" bend the sides back in and cut them to fit the existing battery tray/box ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-early-late-fender-comparison.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Seems to me, that if you don't have a problem welding holes up, that you could mount it how you REALLY want it.

Of course, I am willing to spend the coin, and understand most are not.

But....doing all of this work....might as well do it the "right way" i think....

I have the tombstone with the little blinkers...I love it.

I seriously wouldn't mind doing this someday. I really hope you give us ALOT of REAL detailed posts, so I know what awaits me!

Good job! We are on the same page "Lt."~~!

(now, just how in the hell do we get the dual fishtails??)

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-20-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you change the height of the fender above the struts then you would have seat fit problems. Specially if you need a 2 up seat. I know you have always shown a solo but for others thinking of a rear fender change keep in mind your seat curve. I used my 2 up Mustang seat to help place my RK fender.
Your bike is gonna look good with the new/old fender.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Well ... the '09 Street Bob seat I am using has a little shorter seat pan than the stock ... (the nose of the seat does not fit up under the rear tank mount as it is 'supposed to') ... so, my thinking is 'no big deal' ... the fender is not pre-drilled, so I'll be able to drill the seat mounting holes to fit the seat and the fender's placement ....

At least that's my thinking for the time being ... will adjust course as necessary ... 'cross that bridge' as I get to it ...

Also, have been thinking of possibly rotating the front down slightly, which would align to existing stock configuration ... then drill holes to line up ....

I'll figure it out, one way or another and post my 'gouge' ....

Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

(waiting with baited breath)

Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

mentally I'm playing with the idea of cutting one up right above the hinge and grafting it on to my factory fender.

Doable?

~Joe

Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

It's narrower ... that's why I'm doing spacers ....

Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 AM
jecolvin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking good.

Should look awesome. Snow is finally flying here so that backend came off and finally stating the mods. will post as we go.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Picked up the strut adapters from the machinist this evening ....

The forward fender mount is 3/8" below the centerline of the strut so as to 'roll' the front of the fender down slightly ... I've marked the cut-off line on the lower front of the fender (so it will clear the swingarm) ....

Going to try to make the cuts and mock it up in another day or so ... mark the holes for the seat, the tail lamp (tombstone) and turn signals ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1217.jpg   Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1218.jpg   Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1264.jpg   Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1261.jpg   Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1263.jpg  

Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

A couple of shots of the plan for the battery cover ...

The cover is a little larger than the current, late-model battery ... my plan is to trim the top edges so the top edge will fit under the top cover to help secure it in place ....

I plan to trim the sides a little and bend them inward so they'll hug the sides of the battery and slip in along the sides of the battery box ... I made a cardboard template to guide my work ... it will be a little tricky as the cover is not quite sqaure (the forward lower edge protrudes slightly further forward from square) ....

Also, I'll be rigging makeshift dies to use with a press to make the bends ....

Attached Thumbnails Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1256.jpg   Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn1265.jpg  

Quick Reply: Before photos - new rear fender for FXD