Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before photos - new rear fender for FXD

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop

I think maybe the old Wide Glide 'bob-tail' (now Fat Bob ... also seen on Softails) originated from the fender being 'rolled forward' ... so that the flared part of the fender was horizontal ....

R/
'Chop
i'm sure i read somewhere that they modified the front fender to get that look . but looking at it , you might be right

Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Progress photos of pipes ...

A few photos of my pipes ... in progress ....

I rushed to try to change out my pipe this afternoon at the MWR Auto Shop at Ft. Eustis "finished" in an hour and a half (since that was all the time I had) ... that will also explain why the pipe looks like @ss (burnt on handprints, etc.) ... didn't even have time to clean it off ....

I have wrap I am going to put on it, so I wasn't too concerned about the finish ....

It sounds good and seems like perhaps a slight favorable effect on performance using 'seat of pants' dyno ....

The pipe fits fine, but for some reason it is not horizontal when mounted on the Dyna ... 'sags' in the rear ... this coming week I am going to see if I can 'fix' it ....

My concept is to go to an exhaust shop ('muffler shop') and ask them to (i) cut about 1-1/2" off the aft pipe and (ii) bend the forward pipe up about 2 or 3 degrees at the lowest bend, and (iii) cut about an inch off the end of the tailpipe .... I think that will 'remedy' the situation ....

I expect that those minor changes will allow the pipe to align horizontally ... then the muffler clamp should line up with the original exhaust bracket ... and it should hold the whole pipe/muffler perfectly ....

Well here goes nothing ... wish me luck ....

WORKED ... see after photos on https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...installed.html

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 03-22-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Couple more photos close up to show adequate clearance between battery, trans cover, and cam chest ....

Attached Thumbnails Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-dscn0925.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 03-22-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Any updates on the fender? I'm thinking it might be too skinny for the 150 rear tire.....

Weld the hinge on the back side, drill the tailight hole and powder it.....would really tie in well with the bags.

~Joe

Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

1. I had the hinge welded on the back side ....

2. When I mocked it up it is more 'snug' shall we say, than the stock fender .... [I think it'll be okay ... have enough clearance ... BUT, I am definitely not going to a 180 or 200 ...!]

3. Also, the front of the fender will require a little modification ... I think I am going to have to cut an inch or two from the lower front section, and around where the belt guard meets the fender ....

4. Been puzzling on how to mount it ... was thinking about just using spacers where the FXD struts will meet up with it ... then, I got to thinking ...

Maybe I should get a set of the original struts and 'slim' them down to fill the gap between the stock FXD struts and the fender ... that would afford greater coverage and stability along the length of the fender and the aft-most hole (on the other side of the hinge) would get some additional support ... I am looking for some of the old struts to see if I can find some for cheap (hopefully under $40) ....

5. Once I do that, I'll punch the holes for the tail lamp and turn signals and send it to the Powder Pro for coating ....

Haven't forgot about the fender ... just gotten a little sidetracked for the time being ....

R/
'Chop

Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish I had gone that route.. gonna look nice

Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
1. I had the hinge welded on the back side ....

2. When I mocked it up it is more 'snug' shall we say, than the stock fender .... [I think it'll be okay ... have enough clearance ... BUT, I am definitely not going to a 180 or 200 ...!]

3. Also, the front of the fender will require a little modification ... I think I am going to have to cut an inch or two from the lower front section, and around where the belt guard meets the fender ....

4. Been puzzling on how to mount it ... was thinking about just using spacers where the FXD struts will meet up with it ... then, I got to thinking ...

Maybe I should get a set of the original struts and 'slim' them down to fill the gap between the stock FXD struts and the fender ... that would afford greater coverage and stability along the length of the fender and the aft-most hole (on the other side of the hinge) would get some additional support ... I am looking for some of the old struts to see if I can find some for cheap (hopefully under $40) ....

5. Once I do that, I'll punch the holes for the tail lamp and turn signals and send it to the Powder Pro for coating ....

Haven't forgot about the fender ... just gotten a little sidetracked for the time being ....

R/
'Chop
Alright ... found a machine shop locally that I'm working with to come up with some spacers to take up the gap between the struts and the fender ... should be getting something to work with by this time next week ....

With the stock tire I'm running, I have an inch clearance (1/2" on either side) ....

Did a little mock up work this evening ... if I go with aligning the strut to the original hole pattern, the fender would sit about 3/4" higher (providing additional clearance) ... but, not sure it will look right ....

The spacers will be 3/8" on each side and will be made from steel ... I've discussed tapping the holes in the spacer and use blind (flat) nuts on the inside to secure the spacer to the fender ....

So, I think I'll have the fabricator hold off punching the holes for the struts just yet ... maybe make them a little wider and move the holes up a little to keep the same fender height ... will have to do a little mocking up to see how it will look ....

I'll snap some photos and post them ... so y'all can track the progress ....

R/
'Chop

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI you are only a few mods away from having your Dyna Card pulled Pretty soon you will have to visit the touring section with all the geezers!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Hey ... I'll still be showing shocks ... isn't that enough to retain my membership ...???

The registration still says FXDI ...!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nothing wrong with being an outcast Todd!

Quick Reply: Before photos - new rear fender for FXD