Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sear Yellow Jack Modification - No More Jack Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sear Yellow Jack Modification - No More Jack Adapters

Based on an idea from Wyde Glyde Bry, I have modified my Sears Yellow Jack so that I don't have to use the Harley-Davidson "jack adapters" anymore.

For the purposes of this post, to orient the reader, I will be pushing the Sears Yellow Jack under my FXDC from the right side.

1. First of all, take the ATV adapters off of the lift arms.
2. Cut three pieces of 2x4, and make each piece 5 inches long.
3. Secure each of these three pieces of 2x4 onto the ends of the Sears Yellow Jack lift arms on the three parts of the lift arms that do not contact the frame flange that protects the oil pan. Secure the pieces of 2x4 from underneath the lift arm by using hex head lag screws - 5/16" by 2.5" long. Make sure to use washers so that the hex heads don't pull through.
(note: you cannot use a single piece of plywood on the front lift arms because the middle of a single piece of plywood will pinch the clutch cable)
4. Cut a piece of 1/2" thick plywood that is 5 inches long. I did this by putting one of the pieces of 2x4 onto the 1/2" thick plywood, and tracing around it. Cut out the piece of 1/2" plywood using a jig saw, etc.
5. The 1/2" piece of plywood will go on the end of the lift arm that contacts the frame flange that protects the oil pan. This is necessary as otherwise there will be a 1/2" gap and the bike will not be steady. You will not be able to use a lag screw to secure the 1/2" piece of plywood. The solution is simple. Use regular old contact cement. Smear contact cement on the end of the lift arm and the 1/2" piece of plywood, wait 30 minutes, and press together. Stand on it for a little bit to ensure tight bond.

To use the modified Sears Yellow Jack, you will need to sit on your Dyna with the jack to your right. It will easily go under the right side of the bike. However, the kickstand will be in the way a little. Lean the bike vertically to the right a bit, give a little shove to the jack, and it will clear the kickstand. I used my modified Sears Yellow Jack this afternoon right after doing the modification and my FXDC sat very solidly on the modified jack. When I took the bike down off of the jack, there were some slight impressions in the wood, but the wood will last for hundreds of uses. And to replace the wood will take just minutes.

So, my desire to eliminate having to use the H-D Dyna Jack Adapters has finally been realized. Thanks to Wyde Glyde Bry for his initial idea.

I hope the attached photo came out good enough. Click on the thumbnail and the photo will enlarge to full size to show you the modifications I made. If you are unable to see the photo clearly, send me a PM with your email address and I will email you a photo of my modified jack.

Attached Thumbnails Sear Yellow Jack Modification - No More Jack Adapters-sears-yellow-jack_modification-1.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good ideas guys! I recently bought a table lift so I dont have to screw with this stuff anymore

Anybody in the Chicago area want to buy a lift just like the one the OP has? I have one for sale like new $150 PM me!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Good job...

Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice job bud. Just want to clarify though -- I think the 2x4 was originally Vic's idea as I remember him confirming the measurements (2x4 thickness) would work for this mod specific to the Sears yellow lift. I was just regurgitating the info in a recent thread.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

No sir...not my idea at all. I remember the thread though. Was someone with a black '10 WG and a harbor freight yellow jack.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

BS! You took the measurements bud! I will prove you wrong!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

BOOYA!

Check out post # 27 & 28.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
BOOYA!

Check out post # 27 & 28.
LMAO! Ok, I did measure them but not my idea.

Oct 2009: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-adapters.html
Oct 2009: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-adapters.html

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-17-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
The post I linked is from Sept 2009!

Stop you will not win!!!

Quick Reply: Sear Yellow Jack Modification - No More Jack Adapters