Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripping paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Stripping paint

I started stripping the paint off my tins today.

I used "aircraft remover" to strip the paint. The front fender worked out pretty good. The tank must have some serious clearcoat because after two applications the stripper is just barely hitting the paint.

I ended up buying one of those stripper wheels for a drill. Had the front fender done in no time.

Since I want to strip the underside of the front fender, I'm wondering, to do a thorough job, if I need to drill out the rivets that hold the bracket to the fender. My logic says yes. Otherwise, there will be spots I can't strip the paint off.

As soon as I locate my digi-cam (it's M.I.A) I'll take a few pics of what I have done at the moment. I'm hoping to paint within a few days.

I do wish my wallet could handle the purchase of a media blaster and cabinet.

Bottom line....I just gained a new respect for guys that do bodywork for a living.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
hogcity5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the paint plans Vic?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Yldtang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure it would be worth it to separate the fender mount from the fender to strip under it. I just drilled mine and it was a royal PITA. Just a thought.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by hogcity5
Whats the paint plans Vic?
I have a few different ideas in my head. Since I do have the assistance of a professional guiding me...I really loved that paint that SURFORChop showcased a week or so ago with the flat black/gold kandy. I may try to do something like that. Certainly not an exact copy...

http://www.vividdragon.com/product.p...cat=260&page=1

I was also thinking about (again) flat black with a big "biohazard" symbol in the correct bright orange on the tank. I dig the band and I always thought I was a biohazard when I ride. lol

Originally Posted by Yldtang
I'm not sure it would be worth it to separate the fender mount from the fender to strip under it. I just drilled mine and it was a royal PITA. Just a thought.
I can appreciate the experience. Thanks.

I do have the assistance of a professional so I think drilling them and then riveting it again wouldn't be an issue.

If I don't drill them out, then I'm looking at a media blaster because no way I can strip the inside of the front fender by hand. I just don't have that kind of time.

I have been looking at this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95014

Would be nice to have a cabinet to reclaim the blast media but another $230 for an appropriate sized cabinet at harbor freight is definitely not in the budget.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I have a few different ideas in my head. Since I do have the assistance of a professional guiding me...I really loved that paint that SURFORChop showcased a week or so ago with the flat black/gold kandy. I may try to do something like that. Certainly not an exact copy...

http://www.vividdragon.com/product.p...cat=260&page=1

I was also thinking about (again) flat black with a big "biohazard" symbol in the correct bright orange on the tank. I dig the band and I always thought I was a biohazard when I ride. lol

I can appreciate the experience. Thanks.

I do have the assistance of a professional so I think drilling them and then riveting it again wouldn't be an issue.

If I don't drill them out, then I'm looking at a media blaster because no way I can strip the inside of the front fender by hand. I just don't have that kind of time.

I have been looking at this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95014

Would be nice to have a cabinet to reclaim the blast media but another $230 for an appropriate sized cabinet at harbor freight is definitely not in the budget.
Get the blasting cabinet. You will find more uses for it later. Even if you don't, you can still sell it for $150. This one works pretty good....except the light-it burnt out pretty quick, but other than that it's nice. By the time you buy all the stripper you will wish you had gotten the blasting cabinet. It will pay for itself. One last thing, use glass beads and not sand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93608

Last edited by greenstreetbob; 03-15-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Wanna laugh?

Yesterday I bought two spray cans of Rustoleum Aircraft remover at Walmart to strip the paint off my tins.

Today, I go outside and start spraying front fender / tank. Both cans work 1 out of 10 times I press the nozzle down. Amazing....

I go back to Walmart to exchange the cans. No problem. I walk back to the auto dept and find they have 7 cans of the same stuff in stock. I start testing the cans.

Five (5) of the seven (7) cans on the shelf were bad, just like the two I had bought the previous day.

Freakin amazing.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just curious why you decided to strip instead of sanding enough to primer? Was there a specific reason?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
Get the blasting cabinet. You will find more uses for it later. Even if you don't, you can still sell it for $150. I purchased one locally for about $230 and it was one of the largest ones you could get.
This is definitely a newb question...can I reuse the media after blasting with it even though it will now have paint chips in it?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
This is definitely a newb question...can I reuse the media after blasting with it even though it will now have paint chips in it?
You can use the media for quite a while. The paint chips won't be visible. The media will get down in the areas where the rivets are...just make sure you wash it well afterwards. Then wash it again.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Just curious why you decided to strip instead of sanding enough to primer? Was there a specific reason?
Rookie mistake? lol

Didn't think about it really. I just automatically figured I'd strip it down to have a clean surface to work with.

Quick Reply: Stripping paint