Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim Paint Blues "long read"

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Denim Paint Blues "long read"

I have a 09 street bob with dark denim blue paint. I have had nothing but headaches and issues, there was a bare spot on the underside of the tank that the paint had rubbed off somehow and started rusting. When i took to dealer for warranty was told it was a cosmetic issue and nothing they will do under warranty. After a **** ton of wasted phone calls and a nasty letter I finaly got the tank replaced under warranty. Then when I got the bike back last week after haveing the tank replaced over the winter I was doing a detailed inspection and found the paint peeling away on the inside bottom front edge of the rear fender, also noticed that the paint is flaking off on the right side of the rear fender right below the sissy bar bracket. I am taking it in for more pics to be taken and sent to Harley but I was told don't expect anything to be done about it cause they are going to blame the side on the sissy-bar bracket and the inner rear fender on me riding while the roads are still nasty after winter. This has got me hostile, I take very good care of my bike I try to keep it showroom floor clean and detailed and it is less then 2yrs old and it is rusting, it seems as though they didn't primer or clean the bike properly before painting or the lack of clear coat is causing the paint to fail prematurely. They say that there is a clear coat on there but it is a matt finish clear, but I am starting to doubt this. I am seriously thinking of repainting the bike a different color witch sucks cause I absolutely love this color, I have also thought of taking the tins off and having them clear coated assuming they replace or repaint the rear fender under warranty. I would think the clear would add protection to the paint, it seems if you look at the denim wrong it scratches and 2days later is rusting.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
09DynaRyder
Advanced
Default Hate to hear about that!

I really like the denim colors as well. I'm very interested in how this all turns out. I'm not big into chrome due to my location and the fact that you have to clean / polish constantly to make it shine right. I'd much rather be riding than polishing!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 PM
powerlab
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default blue

Boy that sucks...ive got the denium blue and have had zero problems with it...The only thing i clean it with is windex..I was told that the mat clear is alot more durable then the reg clear....and that makes no sence at all with what your going through...good luck man

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Wireguided
Road Master

The denim finish has a matt finish clear on it .
That part is true.
There are better / stronger clear types out there .
Talk to your local paint shop and tell them exactly what your after .
IE > Toughness of the final finish.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That really sucks...I have black denim and find that it stands up pretty good and is fairly scratch resistant. Must just have a bad paint job...but at least with others saying they don't have a problem, the moco can't tell you that they are all like that.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
T-CON
Advanced

I have a 08 with crimson demin and over all love it. After 16k over all sorts of roads, dirt, hail...etc it does not look new but I like it. I will say the scratches I have put in it are not insignificant and of course are not repairable like they would be in a gloss paint.

I have not had issues like you and would second the statement that you have a defective paint job. sucks and sounds like the replacement tank was even worse.

Painting a bike is so cheap, at least around here, that I just plan on repainting it when the time comes. I am not easy on it.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy touch up paint from Colorrite.com If you want to fix what you got. I had to repaint my bike as it had some hideous pin stripes on it when I bought it. The Denim paint is real easy to work with. I love all the Denim colors.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had black denim paint since it first came out and I hate it.The only original paint left is on my gas tank.Both of my fenders have been resprayed several times.I was going to have the tins repainted but around here they want thousands for a motorcycle paint job.I wouldn't recommend denim paint job to anyone.I'm definitely in the minority though.If you do get it repainted I'd get a regular gloss finish.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the paint is wanting to peel off, adding clear on top won't make it stay any better.

And like somebody else already said: It's already got clear on it. Matt finish clear.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

That sucks you're having so many problems...I've had my '09 black denim street bob for 16 months now and 10,225 miles with no issues at all. No chips, peels or scratches. I just wipe the bike off with a wet micro fiber towel when I'm done riding for the day, and no special care spent with the paint at all. It looks as good now as the day I took delivery of the bike.

I agree with the other posts your bike must have a defective paint job...hope you get it resoved in your favor with MOCO.

Quick Reply: Denim Paint Blues "long read"