Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 PM
ShortFatMexican
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good point??

Originally Posted by Dale_K
Sometimes I do this on purpose on a cold start. Back in the very old days with kick start bikes you'd pull the clutch in and kick the start lever to break the clutch plates free. That way you wouldn't get the big clunk when you shifted to first gear. The concept still works except now I pull the clutch in, then put the bike in first and hit the starter. You can feel a tiny about of forward movement as the clutch frees up. I think this method avoids wear on the clutch tangs and gearbox internals related to the big clunk putting a cold bike into first gear.
Interesting theory that may indeed be fact. Does anyone else have any thoughts or info on this?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Derv
Tourer

Originally Posted by ShortFatMexican
Interesting theory that may indeed be fact. Does anyone else have any thoughts or info on this?
Yes - as an engineer of some years and sometime enthusiastic mechaninc, I do...........

Pulling the clutch in whilst starting with the bike in gear will do no damage whatsoever. In fact on cold morning starts it will be advantageous as the starter motor is only having to spin the engine over, (plus a bit of usually present clutch drag) and not the whole gearbox. The G/box (Trans as you guys like to call it) will be made "stiffer"to turn over by the cold, thick & sticky gearbox oil, thus putting a lot more stress on starter motor and battery.

It will, as a previous poster says also help prevent the far more damaging trans jarring, heavy clunk you sometimes get on first start up of the day - due to the slightly sticking clutch plates. This is due to the plates sticking together slightly overnight, we've all experienced that heavy clunk first time a gear is selected? Starting up in gear with the clutch in breaks the "seal" formed in the plates more gently. If you want to do it a better way, start up the bike in Neutral with the clutch disengaged (lever pulled in) and let the bike tick over for a short while. Turn off, select first gear and start again with the clutch lever pulled in, this will get some oil between the plates and help with freeing off any stickiness there

HTH

Derv

Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
alot of after market clutch levers dont have the little tang inside that disengages the safety switch... mine dosent.. so my bike has to be in nuetral to start.. im planning on by-passing the switch though..
When did this switch first come out on the bikes? Mines an 06 and it will crank in gear with out the clutch lever pulled in.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Derv

It will ... help prevent the far more damaging trans jarring, heavy clunk you sometimes get on first start up of the day - due to the slightly sticking clutch plates. This is due to the plates sticking together slightly overnight, we've all experienced that heavy clunk first time a gear is selected? Starting up in gear with the clutch in breaks the "seal" formed in the plates more gently. ...

Derv
Is this limited to wet clutch or does the same principle apply with a dry clutch ...?

R/
'Chop

Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny thing.....I've replaced dozens of clutch levers, handlebars, switches, handgrips, etc., etc., and I have never seen a "switch" inside the left handlebar assy that would be activated by a clutch lever on any year H-D.

I admit I have no experience with Buell or any metric bike though I do know there is such a switch on my son's GSXR750.

Are you in the right forum?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Derv
Tourer

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Is this limited to wet clutch or does the same principle apply with a dry clutch ...?

R/
'Chop
It can appy to dry clutches as well - they can stick just as a wet clutch will if left for any length of time. Some clutches are more prone to it than others. I once had a Yamamha FZX which the clutch would stick badly even after standing just overnight, yet none of my Hondas ever suffered the problem even if left for months unused. The Harley sits somewhere between the two extemes - over night's not a problem, but a few days sat idle and I know the clutch will stick slighty.

The problem is caused by constant pressure on the plates, which if left over a period of time will compress the clutch linings and make them stick together. I know of guys who tie back the clutch lever to relieve the pressure if leaving their bikes standing for a long time. They never seem to have the sticky clutch problem, but I'm not convinced that doing that won't weaken the pressure plate springs so I've never done it myself

The bottom line tho' is that by pulling in the clutch, whether in gear or not, to start will isolate the engine from the trans. This means the starter motor won't have to spin up the trans as well the reciprocating mass of the motor - thus giving the starter motor an easier life

Derv

Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
Funny thing.....I've replaced dozens of clutch levers, handlebars, switches, handgrips, etc., etc., and I have never seen a "switch" inside the left handlebar assy that would be activated by a clutch lever on any year H-D.

I admit I have no experience with Buell or any metric bike though I do know there is such a switch on my son's GSXR750.

Are you in the right forum?
Look closer. It is there. On my 08 SG it's part number71584-96A

Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Look closer. It is there. On my 08 SG it's part number71584-96A
Thank you!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chust pull in the clutch mein - hit starter button - VROOM!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
bigVtwin88
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
When did this switch first come out on the bikes? Mines an 06 and it will crank in gear with out the clutch lever pulled in.
+1 I've done it by accident before. I was standing in a parking lot and decided to start the bike and then close up my bags. For some reason I thought the stupid thing was in neutral and hit the starter. I bet the dude in the suv across from me would have KILLED for a camcorder haha.

Quick Reply: Starting in Gear