Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superglide upper shock mount bolt sheared

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
misterbill
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superglide upper shock mount bolt sheared

A couple of days ago, riding an '06 35th Anniversary Superglide. No bumps or potholes going 45MPH suddenly it felt like the bike broke in half and I was riding too low. I pulled over and got off and noticed that the left shock bolt was sheared in to. I looked at the right one and it was bent and a couple of minutes later it gave way and the rear fender was sitting on my tire. From reading this forum and others, this is apparently a problem that HD isn't acknowledging. They sure as hell do know about it though, or they wouldn't have redesigned the '08 and later dyna models to use studs in place of bolts threaded into the frame and there wouldn't be an upgrade/replacement kit for '06 & '07 models.

I spent a hour or so on the phone with HD customer support about my issue and they acted like they never heard of it -- BS! I went to the local stealership with the support # and they said they would look into the matter (hmm lets see what happens). Right, I told them that if there is an upgrade/replacement kit and it is recommended that it be put on these bikes and it wasn't put on mine (I bought it used from them) then they ought to put it on there for me and not charge me for it. I don't really believe they will though, but if I didn't say anything then i shouldn't expect anything.

I know there are a couple of users on this forum that reported this issue too. But if there is anyone that has a '06 or '07 dyna please please please check your shock bolts pronto if you haven't already and/or upgrade to the studs!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke 2 of those. After the 2nd one I changed the hardware to the 08 style.Haven't broke one since.

Last edited by thedonthere; 03-12-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I broke 2 of those. After the 2nd one I changed the hardware to the 08 style.Haven't broke one since.
Don,

Is the stud you're using like the one in attachment (that's the one used on my FXD2003)?

Kinda scary, shock bolts breaking during a ride!

FXD2003Rider

Attached Thumbnails Superglide upper shock mount bolt sheared-shock-mount-bolt.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM
wathompson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey.. I am Misterbill up there but I loged in with regular account instead of using google login.

The local dealer is going to upgrade my bike to the '08 design after I went and got on their case about it.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got a part number?

Originally Posted by thedonthere

Hey Don,
Got a part number for the new hardware you used?

Thanks!
Bart