Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields make my eyes blur

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshields make my eyes blur

My dealer was nice enough to let me test ride my new FXD with the Harley compact detachable shield before buying it (the shield). Good thing he did because somehow the turbulence around my full face helmet was pretty bad. It shook the helmet around and moved my eyeglasses so bad it genuinely blurred my vision.

I thought the "barn door" Harley windshield would surely fix the problem so I asked the dealer to order it. Again he allowed me to test ride it before paying but the turbulence wasn't really any better. It's not a height issue because I'm almost looking through the "barn door" model. I felt bad rejecting the special order but there's no way I could have ever used either shield.

Funny thing is I've owned an FLHT-P, FLHS and a Valkyrie and never any problems with those windshields. The "barn door" windshield was just as big as those but it won't work for me.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Isn't wearing a full face with a windshield kinda like wearing suspenders with a belt?
Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 AM
ronny c.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem with my streetbob with the full size windshield. i was going to add lowers but someone on the forums said they dont really help either. a strap on the sunglasses stabilizes the eye shake a little. only thing worse is no shield at all ,, my helmet raises up off my head and my ears feel like there going to explode.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,333 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I have the QD compact shield and have been able to minimize buffetting by adjusting both the angle and height of the shield, but I rarely use it anymore. It spends alot more time sittin' in my parts room than on the bike.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a windshield on my FXDL....I had the compact and then cut it down...I found that looking over and not through worked better for me.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem is caused by the aerodynamics involved, air going over the top of the shield creates a low pressure area behind the shield that pulls the air under the shield up and around your tank and up the front of your body and causes your glasses/helmet/mustache/etc. to be buffeted. take your left arm and put it across your chest, like a salute and see that the problem will be solved, in most cases, it will be. google "windshield/flaps" to see where you can find the fix

Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAlsRK
I had a windshield on my FXDL....I had the compact and then cut it down...I found that looking over and not through worked better for me.
I have done this also and I ride on the highway with just my prescription eyeglasses on with no problems. I cut 4plus inches off mine.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's why I like my windvest. The extra curve at the top lifts air further upward without having to have a "barn door" in front of you bluntly blocking a huge wall of air creating more turbulence. With my QD windshield I had to have the top of it just below eye level to get it to function right. The WV is well below my eye level and I have it adjusted to where it directs the air just over the top of my helmet.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windshields are for cars.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyphoenix
Windshields are for cars.
Or for those of us that have been riding for 45+ years and just don't want to be beat up by the wind anymore. We enjoy riding but not the being beat up. Can you ride at 80 and smoke a cigarette or cigar, can you wear just a pair of normal glasses. Do you have to wear a bandana, I don't. Why not let others ride the way they wish without you degrading them?????? Riding is what counts, right????

Quick Reply: Windshields make my eyes blur