Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields make my eyes blur

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in a BMW for the Dyna and I gave the dealer 3 windshields with the trade in. I guess I'm more aggravated by turbulence than most folks but I know that plenty of people over in the BMW world have windshield issues too. It's gotten to be kind of a running joke "start your windshield collection today".

I think you're on to something with the idea that a fore/aft curve at the top works better than a flat blunt shield that only curves around the bars. I still can't figure out why the shields work so good on the large dresser type bikes.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windvest works great. I used one until I got the FXDXT fairing, and it's a great option.

I've never ridden without a windshield, probably never will.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
rdown1976
Tourer

I got this helmet for aerodynamics....works great

Attached Thumbnails Windshields make my eyes blur-even_blade_motorcycle_helmet_mohawk_warhawk.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM
doxbike
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default national cycle

I had the same problem with the HD QD on my sportster and on the FXDF -so bad my eyeballs vibrated. couldn't ride 5 miles with it. Cut it, raised it, lowered it tilted it-no good. Went to a Deflector DX from national Cycle. This has enough adjustment capability to find a sweet spot (usually tipped back more than you'd think). QD and very reasonably priced.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm with the OP in that I don't care for the re-direction of air from the shield. Unless it's raining, the shield stays home.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
rray
Novice

I use the Harley QD compact model on 07 Street Bob and look over not through - big improvement over no shield but still some turbulance

Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Tilting of the windshield, larger headlight and a fork air dam from a touring bike... all together make the buffeting quite tolerable. I don't wear glasses without a toggle or strap though.... but it all works together.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 AM
ASPHALT WARRIOR
Cruiser

funny thing i never ever used a windshield on my bikes then i rode a friends road king and that was it i guess it has to do with getting older too , and yes my wideglide with a shield has a lot of buffeting but what can u do

Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I rode for years without a windshield didn't know any better. About ten years ago when I bought my Valkyrie all of my riding buddies had shields and hard bags. They convinced me I had to have them both and I did for the next ten years.After trading my Valkyrie for my new 2010 Wide Glide I decided to lose the shield and the hard bags. I bought a quick detach shield in case I want it for a long trip but otherwise I'll ride with no shield. I am using a 3/4 helmet with full face shield that seems to be working well so far. I am really enjoying the size of the Wide Glide and not dealing with the weight and bulk of the Valkyrie.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:09 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

memphis lowers help, most of that air is coming from underneath, around the tank

Quick Reply: Windshields make my eyes blur