Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving ignition on street bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josh12730
I would really love this mod on my bike, but honestly I don't have the ***** to do it. I feel like I would screw it up. I wish there was someone near by that could hook a brother up
Not trying to bust your ***** but how would anyone know they are near by? You don't list your location.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is even an easier way to relocate your ignition switch.
I got a console from 2008 CVO Dyna which fits directly instead of the original SB console. It wasn't very expensive but certainly not "free".
It is also chrome not black like the original SB. The benefit is that you have no "cutting" to do and it has a perfect factory finish.
Took me about 1 hour for the entire mod. (took absolutely ages to remove ignition connector from the old switch). Here are the part numbers for the mod:

61712-08 - Screaming Eagle Dyna Dash with gasket;

71313-96A - Ignition Switch and two keys. Include your current key HD number and request to have the new keys matched to your existing key when ordering.
The switch is off CVO Dyna. It is also identical to most switches used on Softails.

71766-08 - Ignition Switch Bracket;

70706-08 - Speedometer Gasket;
You also might like the 4 self tapping screws part # 2501A

Some pics of the finished mod:

Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
skunkdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff, I intend to do this mod, however I do have one question. What thoughts have been given to the hole where the removed ignition switch was. Black rubber plug? Just leave the old ignition switch in place?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions......

thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkdog
Great stuff, I intend to do this mod, however I do have one question. What thoughts have been given to the hole where the removed ignition switch was. Black rubber plug? Just leave the old ignition switch in place?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions......

thanks

The switch stays there,, You'll need it for your fork lock..

Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
josh12730
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Not trying to bust your ***** but how would anyone know they are near by? You don't list your location.
That's funny, I totally wasn't even thinking that someone would actually be willing to help me out with doing it, I was just kinda saying hypothetically because I can be all thumbs sometimes... I'm in Chicago. I'm going to update my info. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Can you say more about this? Is the switch actually attached to anything or just "floating" so to speak in the grommet?

Thanks
I was going to use the grommet just to seal and then use mounting posts but found that it was such a snug fit, it didn't need anything else. Just don't make the hole in the console too big.

I did this mod about three years ago and it's never moved.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
josh12730
Cruiser

Actually it just dawned on me, am I even a candidate for this if I have the security system? I find the system kinda annoying. I know it has a purpose, but it is kinda irritating at times.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Grind
Road Master
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by josh12730
Actually it just dawned on me, am I even a candidate for this if I have the security system? I find the system kinda annoying. I know it has a purpose, but it is kinda irritating at times.
Works just fine with factory security system.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vladt
There is even an easier way to relocate your ignition switch.
I got a console from 2008 CVO Dyna which fits directly instead of the original SB console. It wasn't very expensive but certainly not "free".
It is also chrome not black like the original SB. The benefit is that you have no "cutting" to do and it has a perfect factory finish.
Took me about 1 hour for the entire mod. (took absolutely ages to remove ignition connector from the old switch). Here are the part numbers for the mod:

61712-08 - Screaming Eagle Dyna Dash with gasket;

71313-96A - Ignition Switch and two keys. Include your current key HD number and request to have the new keys matched to your existing key when ordering.
The switch is off CVO Dyna. It is also identical to most switches used on Softails.

71766-08 - Ignition Switch Bracket;

70706-08 - Speedometer Gasket;
You also might like the 4 self tapping screws part # 2501A
Great info, Thanks!! But I checked Zanottis and all that would run close to $300.

Quick Reply: moving ignition on street bob