Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new apes

Would some of you ya'll that have recently installed apes please give me your impression of your first ride. Just curious how you bike felt compared to standard bars. Thanks for your time.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
jss1975snow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much, much better, felt like I was really riding something.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM
02Dyna812
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just went to 16" apes only had two decent rides on them but compared to the drag bars i ran for two seasons i love it. heard alot of stuff about apes being uncomfortable and i couldnt feel more differently.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

only thing i dont like/have to get used to is moving my bike around my yard/tight spaces with the apes. it's a different feel trying to maneuver the bike around with your hands up so high.

as far as riding, i love 'em. mine are pushed forward because i ride hunched over a little. i find them so comfortable and i feel like i have more control going thru turns with the apes.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been many years since I changed to apes on and off since 1972, I have had just about every bar style there is. All depends on riding style and comfort. Are you having a hard time getting used to them? By the way your bike looks great ! At first turning will be different from a stop, you will notice the wind resistance over 50mph and I think you will be checking the torque on the riser bolts alot more. Other than those small things you will love the feel,look and getting used to others that ask " How can you ride with bars like that, dont your arms get tired?" For me it is great on the back and nothing better than "fists in the wind". Best to you and you will LOVE the new bars.....

Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

I went from drags to apes. For me... it felt more like I was "in" the bike rather than "on" it. And my back feels better. And my shoulders.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been runnin apes for the last 5 years and don't know how I ever went without them. I have had to try different sizes until I found the right ones for me. Last ones were 16's and being I'm only 5"7, may have been too much of a stretch, shoulders would be pretty sore at the end of a long ride. I just swapped out to 13's and they seem to be just right, but still haven't done any long rides to know for sure.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
don_q1971
Advanced

ok I got a quick question. What size can I go to without having to change out the cables on my Street Bob?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

Originally Posted by don_q1971
ok I got a quick question. What size can I go to without having to change out the cables on my Street Bob?
No way of answering that. You have to measure the cables you have now and figure out what you got to play with.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by don_q1971
I think people from here have gone as high as 14's with some re-routing of the cables and bending the brake line. You should also have plenty of slack on the wires in the neck, at least I did.

Quick Reply: new apes