Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring the rear with no taillight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default wiring the rear with no taillight.

guys that are running turn signals only. How did you end up wiring up the signals. I figure you need a run turn brake module. Then what. do you just wire in the signals to the light harness or did you have to wire in and extra wires? My fender is being smoothed and I will be running turn signals only. Need to know how this is done best. Thanks. My thoughts are I only need run the ground wires and run the two wires to their right and left turn respective wiring. The additional wires that usually go to the taillamp are then unnecessary.

Last edited by rounder; 03-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I cut the rear harness off close to the plug under the seat. I then extended the turn signal wires so they would reach to under the seat then spliced them into the plug I left.

You are right once you have the run/turn/brake module the rest of the wires are not needed. Just need the 2 power wires and the 1 ground (on mine anyway not sure if the older ones have the same rear harness). i just capped the rest of the wires at the plug.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Livnoutdoorsxd9
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive wondered this also..
livn

Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bberck
I cut the rear harness off close to the plug under the seat. I then extended the turn signal wires so they would reach to under the seat then spliced them into the plug I left.

You are right once you have the run/turn/brake module the rest of the wires are not needed. Just need the 2 power wires and the 1 ground (on mine anyway not sure if the older ones have the same rear harness). i just capped the rest of the wires at the plug.
yeah I figured so. I know you just did yours and wanted to make sure I was right. Plan on doing the same thing to my wiring. Your bike strongly motivated me to get the fender smoothed. Inexpensive mod too. Thing that sucks is I have a brake/turn module on my bike, gotta go get the run/brake /turn module.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
yeah I figured so. I know you just did yours and wanted to make sure I was right. Plan on doing the same thing to my wiring. Your bike strongly motivated me to get the fender smoothed. Inexpensive mod too.
Ya it wasnt to bad and makes a nice difference. I recommend the bike tronics run/turn module. My first HD one didnt last very long and the biketronics one is guaranteed for life.

Also recommend the LED turn signals from Radiantz lighting. They are very bright and alot better than a stock bulb or the cheap LED bulbs you can get at a parts store.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:37 PM
RicMF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a stupid question (cuz I'm too lazy to go down to the garage and look) but do the stock turn signals have three wires? Does the wiring to the signals need changed?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RicMF
Maybe a stupid question (cuz I'm too lazy to go down to the garage and look) but do the stock turn signals have three wires? Does the wiring to the signals need changed?
The stock rear signal lights are single element lights. The run brake turn module sends a lower voltage to the lights to have them on permanently, then the get full voltage when brake is applied or signal is used. At least I think that's how it works. Ther are only 2 wires to each light. Ground then power.

Last edited by rounder; 03-10-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
OutlawBagger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get my fender back this week and will be wiring probably the same as BBerck. I get my LED turns Friday and I got a flex light strip for the bottom of the fender (brake light). I might not use the flex strip but I got a deal on it and we'll see.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If anyone needs it, at the bottom of this page is the standard wiring diagram for the rear lights. If you had a set of front turn signals you would noy need the module, fronts are 3 wire. Just a thought.

http://www.8541hog.com/taillight.html

Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
If anyone needs it, at the bottom of this page is the standard wiring diagram for the rear lights. If you had a set of front turn signals you would noy need the module, fronts are 3 wire. Just a thought.

http://www.8541hog.com/taillight.html
the rears won't fit the front bulb. So you would need to purchase front turn signals. Much more than a module. Not to mention the fronts are not shaped to use the standoffs like in the rear. I thought about just using my fronts, but, I want my short rear standoffs in place.

Quick Reply: wiring the rear with no taillight.