Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Change engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:37 AM
dynafan68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to Change engine oil?

Hi Folks
I'm going to do the oil change by my self for the first time,
can I have some opinion from you guys please!
Is there should be same oil for all, or different oil for engine and transmission?
what oil best for Dyna?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 04:40 AM
wes mullen
Advanced

make sure you have a filter wrench. Hard to get it out of a tight spot. Apparently, if you use the synthetic stuff, crankcase and transmission are the same, good luck, have to change mine too

wes

Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are about 50,00 threads on oil change here on this site,unfortunately all opinions seem to differ.some use amsoil in all three, some mobil1, some guys like auto tranny oil in the primary , it all works,it is what it is. Check this link there is a lot of info on that page. https://www.hdforums.com/kbase/
What i do to get the filter off is remove the voltage regulator ( two bolts,) and use a regular auto fiter wrench,being careful around the sensor that sits right beside the filter iself.

Last edited by maddghost; 03-09-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Pipedope
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 synthetic 20w50 in the engine and primary
Mobil 1 Synthetic 90w140 gear oil i the transmission

You can get the oil at AutoZone pretty reasonable price.

I think the gear oil in the transmission makes it easier to shift and to find neutral.

I have an 06WG

Old 03-09-2010, 05:54 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

You can buy a 15 point cup filter wrench that goes on a ratchet extension at autozone. Take the filter with you cause there is a 15 and a 16 point for car filters. I use Mobil1 20w-50 syn in the motor and the primary and 75w-90 in the tranny but will go to 75w-140 next time. Be a good idea to start out by replacing the T27 torx bolts on the primary cover with 1/4" chrome hex head bolts from the hardware store. Those torx bolts suck. Also I cut a plastic jug out to fit under the filter to catch as much oil as I can from loosening the filter.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

If you dont have one yet, go get the service manual for your bike. It will walk you thru step by step on your oil change. Also, there is other items that will need attention at this time, if its a major service interval... Or you just might be changing oil since winter is melting away...

Either way that manual is worth its weight in gold... Can be had for around 60 bucks, the best 60 bucks ever spent on your bike!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

be careful not to damage the o-rings on the drain plugs or the derby cover gasket.....OR use new ones. An oil change kit from HD is about $5 if you need it.....AND do not over torque the drain plugs when you put them back in!

You are on your own on the oil. Too many opinions on that.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I highly recommend synthetic fluids - brand is up to you. I went with Amsoil and, no, you don't use the same stuff in all 3 holes. Synthetic really quietened my tranny and smoothed out my shifting (no more clunks) significantly. As someone said, there are tons of oil related threads here you will find in a search. Go ahead and buy several o-rings for the plug bolts, they are cheap, and change them out every time you pull one of those bolts. And be careful not to damage them when you put the bolts back in. Use a torque wrench and torque to specs (see the recommendation to pickup a service manual).

Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Guys if you could Post a few Links To these oil changing Threads that would be a great help.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmon
If you dont have one yet, go get the service manual for your bike. It will walk you thru step by step on your oil change

This is the best advise so far.

Quick Reply: How to Change engine oil?